Getting to know our rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooklynBunny

Reaction score
Hello-

We weren't planning to have a bunny, but we found one abandoned late at night, on the steps of the local school. She was in a cage with food and water; clearly someone put her there and hoped for the best. We came along and took her home, thinking we would foster her until we found her a permanent family, but two weeks later, it looks like she's staying.

We took her to the vet and she's a healthy, young female. We named her Chopper because her ears look a bit like helicopter blades. I've posted a couple of photos in the gallery.

We'd never had a rabbit before so we've been reading up a lot about them in the past couple of weeks. Chopper is toilet-trained and clean, and loves to be petted. She also has a mischievous streak, and loves to chew and dig our couch. She has chew toys at strategic locations but the couch is a favorite. Needless to say, we're buying a spread.

She can be bossy and moody, especially in the evening around 10pm. The vet told us she's likely to calm down after she's spayed, so we're going to do that this month. We understand she's a rabbit and rabbits chew, but at least getting her spayed should help with the (very) occasional aggressivity.

So yes, she's a bit of a handful at times, but that's what happens when you have a hormonal teen in the house! She's also affectionate and a cuddler.

If anybody in Brooklyn, NY, reads this, we'd be interested in sharing tips, and would love to hear about reliable rabbit-sitters for when we go on vacation.

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

Thats great you took her in, she looks adorable. I rescued a rabbit this past July someone had let go in a subdivision, makes me mad.

Anyways, good chew toys are hay stuffed tp tubes, cardboard boxes with doors and windows cut into them. Also, baby toys like plastic keys, stacking cups work great. Any bird toys made for parrots are good too.

You can protect any pc cords or wires with plastic cover used to protect wires in cars.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Congrats on your acquisition and thanks for taking her in. Rabbits can be challenging at times and very rewarding. Our first bunny, a rescue, was Commander Bun-Bun. She got her name from the "Drew Carey" show and because the house was "hers".

Welcome to RO! This is a great place to find reliable information. :)

Spaying will definately help with attitude and prevent cancer in the long-run. Be sure she has lots of good things to chew on and different shapes. I have a pair that will only chew on sticks from apple trees. I have one that doesn't really chew on anything other than her hay. The fourth will chew on anything that is in his cage, but nothing outside. You will learn their personality. Please be sure to bunny proof, particularly cords.

We've blocked access to the computer's cords with a gate and that seems to work. The TV/stereo cords are in an area where there's no carpet, and she seems to hate going on floorboards so that's safe (for now?)

We did notice she has chewing preferences. No interest in apple sticks but toilet rolls are a big hit, as well as grass mats and of course her timothy hay.

We're now looking into investing into a bigger cage. Leith Petwerks condos are pricey but look big enough to keep her happy while we're out of the house, and should fit (just!) into our home office.

You might want to look at the thread here with cage ideas. I love "neat idea cubes" NIC pannels. They are so much more flexible so you can build the cage to fit your area. They are also much less expensive. Use zip ties to hold the pannels together.

In our house we have to rotate who gets the toilet paper and paper towel rolls because they are so popular with the rabbits and gerbils. I stuff them with hay or herbs to make them even more fun. :)

Small cardboard boxes, like the little box staples or paper clips come in, is also popular (my office mates save me their boxes too). I put small treats into the boxes and they have to chew to get the treat. It's a good way to keep them busy a while.

Yeah, Brandy just gave you some great ideas about the cages. The cube condos are great, I personally have one for my bun. Another option is an exercise pen for dogs, some people use those. I personally like the cube condos because you can easily make multiple levels which is great for me cause Toby loves to jump.

As for the flooring, last year I was able to let Toby out in my room and leave the door open because he wouldn't go out to the linoleum/hard wood. That's all changed now and if the door is open even the smallest bit he's gone down the hall or into my roommates' rooms. :p It may be safe for now but there is the possibility that she will get more comfortable on the flooring and take off, so be prepared! :)

Yep, flooring doesn't even slow down any of ours now. Another then to try for play is a cardboard apple box--the kind with the top. I cut small holes in two sides and put in a litter box full of shredded newspaper. The chew on the cardboard and dig in the newspaper--hours of cheap entertainment and easily replaced.

You can also set up an dog exercise pen and use that! A lot less work and may even be cheaper, although it isn't as aesthetically pleasing... :p

The thing is, we live in a NY apartment so space is at a premium -- we can't fit a very big cage, let alone an exercise pen. Also we're not particularly handy! We decided to splurge and got Chopper a double-decker bunny condo from Leith Petwerks. She likes to climb and jump, so should be fine with the ramp.

Back