GETTING READY FOR FALL SHOWS

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holland

Reaction score
Well, we are getting ready to start up our fall show season, and I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice or suggestions, or good tips as far as what to pack and what to keep onhand.

I have a STANLEY plastic toolbox on wheels it has a removable top, we keep most of our supplies, books, scales, and meds in, but what are some things that everyone else keeps on hand, and how do you prepare for shows? Starting Aug. 20th, it seems like we have one every weekend until the end of Nov.

Also tips on keeping bunnies stress free, or as little as possible? Does anyone else use shredded wheat cereal? That was suggested to us for flesh condition?

Just wanted to get some input?

Hi holland,

It's been said that comfrey can go a long way in helping rabbits to de-stress or calm down when going to a show.

Would pack the car the night before the show so that you're not running around like a chicken with your head cut off the day of the show. Make sure you have your grooming kit with you. Find out what the rules of the show are so that you can plan accordingly as to bringing a grooming table, chairs,etc. (You can check the following website for informationonthe show you're going to:http://www.arba.net/showinfo.htm)

Flea combs help with matting and dirty butt. Don't forget the vinegar for rabbits that urinate on themselves.Would pack the car the night before the show so that you're not running around like a chicken with your head cut off the day of theshow.

Some conditioning mix would be non-frosted shredded mini wheat, blacksunflower oil seeds (also acts as a hot food so don't want to give too much), calf manna, oats, sunflower seeds.Hay is a good idea to have on hand too, and of course, always fresh water - as you well know.

There's two things Pamnock had mentioned that you want to watch out for

1. Missing their class because they didn't hear it announced.

2. Filling out their paper work wrong

If you are a first timer, it can help to sit next to a seasoned breeder who has the same breed you are showing. When they get up to move their rabbits to the show table -- you know it's time for you also:)

You may also want to ask a seasoned breeder or the show registrar to check your paper work and the variety of yourrabbitto be certain you have everything filled out correctly. Incorrect paperwork can cause you to miss your proper class.

Also, please don't talk loudly at the show table or ask the judge questions during the actual judging -- it's very distracting.;)

Pam

Thanks Carolyn,

With 4 girls I'm always running around like a chicken with it's headcut-off!! I think we thrive on last minute packing, although I tellmyself everytime to get ready the night before(it never seems tohappen).

We've been to several shows so we are getting use to finding out whento get the rabbits ready to put on the table, I would just like to knowwhat other people keep on hand at shows for the rabbits that I mightlike to add to our "show kit".

Here's a great site if you haven't checked itout, holland.http://www.sensiblesoftware.com/articles/a/Showing-Rabbits.html

Also picked this up from a Holland Lop breeder. Best to go tothe breeders of the same breed you're showing for most helpful hints.

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Preparation[/font]

• [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]You will need to buy showcarriers for travelling to the show. You can buy these either at theshow or at a rabbit supply distributor near you. I likeWoody'swabbits. It is nice to have little attached feeddishes and smaller travelling water bottles to go on yourcarriers.[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]You'll need to bring a few things with you such as:[/font]

• [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Paper towels[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Hand disinfectant gel[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]a grooming table or piece of carpet to put on top of your carriers[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]your grooming tools (slickerbrush, nail clippers.) I keep these in a small tool box.[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]a sharpie pen and paper[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]your business cards[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]feed for your rabbit (hay, pellets,)[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]extra woodchips[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]a chair if space allows at the show[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]food for yourself[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]appropriate clothing and anapron or extra shirt in case a bunny pees on you.[/font]
http://www.snow-berry.com/showinginfo.htm

Hope that helps.

-Carolyn

I pack veggie flavor baby food andsyringes. Also oatmeal. I find that if a rabbitdoesn't look good I can always force feed them. This isusually used for the longer trips; like to the convention or thenationals.

I was going to post some pics real quick but Ineed to go back and resize them. It will take a few minutes,but I will get them up today.

This is my oldest daughter after winning 1stplace BSB in open with a mini lop, and she also won a 2nd for SSD minilop. The mini lop buck went up for BIS.

This is my middle daughter after"winning" 9 and 10th place with her twoSJD in open.She had very stiff competition.

My 4yr old held on as long as she could, it was a very long day for her.

One of these days I'll get better at this and have all the pics on the same post!

Adorable photo!

We make certain our rabbits are cool during the ride (and we freezeLOL). I put a piece of carrot and a little water into theirwater dishes for the ride as well as for the show. Feed isalso brought if its an overnight trip and I take out the carrierdividers so they have more room for overnighters. Nurti Calis also nice to have on hand if the rabbits go off theirfeed. We don't do any grooming at the show (unless we bringwooled breeds). The rabbits are looked over and groomed acouple days before the show -- any loose hair removed and nails clippedas well as checking for any health issues.

We bring our own food sometimes -- for the show yesterday, my husbandmade subsandwiches and I made pasta salad. Bringing your ownfood can be a real money saver if you are traveling a long distancewith a lot of people. (There were 6 of us yesterday). You canalso save a lotof money by bringing your own drinks.

Folding chairs are a must. Might also want to bring books andgames for the kids. We have a portable DVD player for Matthewso he can watch movies on the trip and also bring him lots ofsnacks. The kids sometimes bring their school work to do atthe show while they are waiting on classes.

We also bring along the show cart for transporting carriers, water jugfor the rabbits and my scale and judging equipment if I'm judging thatday. (We generally don't go to shows unless I'm judging there) -- helpspay for the trip and entries. Also a towel and a crate forMatthew to stand on and show his rabbits. A big roll of papertowels and baby wipes also come in handy for clean ups.

I buy remark cards and entry sheets from ARBA, and we fill them out in advance.

We also bring a tool kit (for car repairs), first aid kit, maps, extramoney, credit card for emergencies, AAA card and extra clothes.

Don't forget show coats and aprons! Got Matthew's show coat from thiswebsitehttp://www.imlaysuniforms.com/chsc.html

Pam

I bring the usual stuff, brushes,toenailclippers,magic markers,pens,pedigrees ,chairs,drinks food and waterdishes for the rabbits.one thing i did not see mentioned ,baby wipes.iuse them to clean out tattoos wipe hands etc.bluebird

So true! I think everyone at the show Saturday was in a mad dash to get rabbit coats into presentable condition.

All of you guys are giving me such great ideas. Alot of themI already have on hand, especially the babywipes! I reallylike Pam's idea for the subs, and salad. I always have stuffon hand for the kids, but I'm thinking that sandwiches will help us outa lot!

Back