Getting Rabbit to Eat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddysMom

Reaction score
Okay so anyone who has treated a sick kid knowsits heck to get them to eat good food, but as soon as you offersomething like a cookie they'll scarf they down no problem.

I was wondering if you could use that same principle when trying to getsick rabbits to eat. Like when these two got fixed they wanted nothingto do with hay or pellets, but put a craisin in front of them and itwas gone in a second.

I know JimD has posted a pellet cookie reciepe. I was wondering say ifyou made a cookie out ofpellets and sweet potato mash orsomething else your rabbit normally loves if they would eat it. Thepremise would be tricking them into thinking they are getting a treat.

Here's the reciepe. It would obviously have to be altered to cut downon some of the sugar. They are really easy to make (I have madethem before). And you can also add things like dried fruit to spruce itup a bit.

1 small carrot, pureed
1/2 banana, mashed until really creamy
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup rabbit pellets, ground finely in a coffee grinder
1/4 cup ground oats, ground finely in a coffee grinder

Mix pureed carrot, banana and honey in a medium bowl. Add pellet powderand ground oats. Mix until blended. Knead in your hands for 1-2minutes. Roll out the "dough" in 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick layers betweensheets of plastic wrap. Cut into small [highlight=#ffff88]cookies (about 3/4 inch across). Place cut shapesonto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees forabout 30 minutes (check to make sure they are not browning too much).Turn off the heat and let the [highlight= #ffff88]cookiessit in the warm oven for an hour or so.

Brenda adds: Next time, I am going to try finely ground rolled oats inplace of the flour. I am sure that lots of other changes could be made,and these would still work. For example you could replace the carrotwith apple or pear.

we made cookies brownies you name it. we made itfor them and they really loved em!!!every time we gave em to them theylike got a bunny buzz:elephant::bunnydance::colors:

Those Cookies are really good, my girls love them!

Rubyandtoy.jpg

I bet they would work well for getting a sick bunny to eat.

what a great idea!! I certainly will keep this in mind. They'd even be a great idea as a treat.

Thanks for posting the recipe Freddysmom:highfive:

When I first read the subject line, I thought you wanted to find rabbits to EAT. :shock::shock:

Latest posts

Back