Getting over the Loss of a Pet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
Personally, I cried and cried. As hard as it was, they were tears of healing, and I had to cry each drop.

Others have said that putting together a scrapbook or a website helpedto pay tribute to their friend, as well as memorialize him or her.

(For those currently grieving, there's an excellent article in therecent Rabbit's Only Magazine:http://rabbits.com/page_9.htmI hope it and some answers that our wonderful group has to offer mighthelp you in some way.)

What did you do to deal with the devastation and pain?

-Carolyn

When we lost our 8 months old puppy, we cried and I just keep a picture of him in my house.
There is nothing else you can do.

Cried, Screamed, cried all night, didnt sleep,just cried. Cried whenever i saw another bunny. Cried when I readstories about other peoples rabbits dieing, cried ffor me, cried forhim, cried if i talked about him, cried if anyone else talked abouthim.

Just cried.

I haven't lost a pet in years, thankfully.However, as we always had dogs and cats, rabbits, ducks and even a pigat one point, I know how heartwrenching it is when a pet passes on.

Basically what I do is cry and cry until I cry it all out of me. Somepeople suggest getting another pet to replace the one you just lost,but I feel it's usually best to wait a while, so you can grieve and getover it a bit. Another animal can never replace the one you lost.

My cat Lestat is my baby. I've had him since he was a kitten and he'sbeen with me through thick and thin. It sounds stupid, but I can makemyself cry with just the mere thought of when that horrible time willcome when he passes on, as I can't imagine him not being there when Igo to bed at night. He even holds my hand for pete's sake.

My rabbits, when that time comes, will be a heartbreaking loss as well.As they aren't as snuggly as my kitty, they are so much fun to playwith and pet, to watch, to get "baths" from and they just plain oldbring so much joy into my life.

Ok, now I'm all upset thinking about it!!! :p

Since losing Fudge on Wednesday, I have done the following things -

cried loads and just generally gone with whatever emotion I felt at the time

laid him to rest with his teddy bear in a beautiful, peaceful petcemetery on a hillside in the Scottish Borders, knowing the place isregistered and well cared for and that I can visit if I want (or not)is a comfort

collected all his photos together, framed the best one and put the rest in memory book, I will add annotations when I feel ready

collected his fur off my bathrobe (I was wearing this when he died) and put it in a little rabbit box I have

gave my other bunny Miffy loads of cuddles and kisses

talked about it all lots with my husband who was equally devastated

read lots about pet bereavement on the net

found this site on the net and posted some posts, got wonderful replies and much comfort

realised I want to celebrate his life, not be sad, but at the same time realise that I will still cry

Wow...

mummybunny, the memories you just provoked with that last post. I STILLhave some bunny fur from my first bunny, Brindy, that I put in a littleplastic container, back when I was 11 years old. Every time I comeacross it in my box of memories, which sometimes is 5 years apart, Istill open it, touch it, and sigh, remembering Brindy.

Animals can really touch our lives.

I cried and screamed and cried. MyAngel died in my arms at the Vet's office. For the firstthree nights I lit candles in her cage and fell asleep in her cagecrying. I missed her so much. And I couldn't helpbut blame myself. Per someone else's suggestion, I adoptedLenci a week after Angel died. I resented Lenci at first, butshe really helped me through that hard time.

I cried like crazy. Then I was angry. Then I was sad. Then I felt guilty. Then I cried again.

I also got together all of my stuffed bunnies and set them on a shelfnext to pictures of my bunnies. My collection of stuffed rabbits hassince then grown a lot.

Lissa

I cried and sobbed so much when I lostFudge that I was ill and had to have two weeks off work. Fudge was mylittle girl and touched so many lives. We went walking together and shemade friends with people, their pets, their kids so much so that theywould come to the house to see her. I was on holiday in Canada when shetook ill and died and I've never forgiven myself. The vet had taken herhome to treat her as she had needed 24 hour care and my family wouldn'ttell me. When we got home, the vet had kept her for us to see one lasttime and I broke my heart. We had her cremated at a reputable petcrematorium and I have her ashes in a wooden box. We have a memorialplaque to her with her photo and the Rainbow Bridge poem underneath. Ithink the Rainbow Bridge idea helped a lot. I still crysometimes - Jan

I took a very long time to get over Angel. I still miss her and it's been 1 1/2 years.

I cry a lot. The longer I've had them, the more Icry. The hardest thing for me was a comment made by someone who used tobe my friend. When I told her in May or June that I wanted to gethamsters, her response was 'why, so you can kill them?' then, i dontremember the exact wording, she said something to the effect of how iget animals just to kill them or watch them die. Okay, so I havent hadthe best luck with keeping pets. Some I only get for a few days beforethey leave me. I just dont like insensitive people. some people justdont understand deaths that they themselves have had the, for lack of abetter word, luck not to have.

I used to have really really bad luck with guineapigs and would get another one to ease the pain but i just couldnt seemto keep them alive so i decided to only look at piggies at the petstores.

Cristy

Well... I was a psychology major... and I took acourse on Adulthood and Aging... and while this definition of thegrieving process was meant for humans... I have found it 'works' withanimal grieving as well.

I remember when Fluff died, I cried for a week, until I buried her inmy strawberry patch. Then I would only cry when somethingreally reminded me of him. After 2 months, I adoptedGuinevere and I know that in a couple of years, I will mourn Guin.. butI have given a wonderful home to this bunny and she has given me so farthree years of love and joy.

[align=center]There are commonstages an individual may experience during grief. Grief is the pain ofnot having the person who is gone. There is no right way or wrong wayto grieve.

In one way or another, we are all affected by death. Losses areinevitable and are ever present in all lives. Death is universal. Griefis universal. We all must cope with bereavement at some stage in ourlives. Even though death can be separated into two categories,long-term illness and sudden death, all death is sudden. The finalityof death brings to those left behind a tremendous amount of emotionalpain. Grief is not something abnormal; rather, it is a normal andinevitable step in our journey through life. Two simple definitions ofgrief are 1) the conflicting feelings caused by the end of or change ina familiar pattern or behavior. 2) a normal, natural and painfulemotional reaction to loss. We can grieve not only for the passing of ahuman life, but also for the death of a relationship (divorce) or wecan suffer the same emotional reactions over the loss of a beloved pet.Grieving is difficult because it involved many intense feelings – love,sadness, fear, anger, relief, compassion, hate, or happiness to name afew. Not everyone experiences all of these feelings but many in thegrieving process experience several of them at the same time. Thefeelings are intense, disorganizing and can be long lasting. Grievingoften feels has been described as drowning in a sea of painfulemotions.

There are certain stages of grief. 1) Shock – Immediately following thedeath of a loved one it is difficult to accept the loss. A feeling ofunreality occurs. During those first days and through any religiousrituals or memorials there is a feeling of being-out-of-touch. 2)Emotional Release – the awareness of just how dreadful the loss isaccompanied by intense pangs of grief. In this stage a grievingindividuals sleeps badly and weeps uncontrollably 3) Panic - For sometime a grieving person can feel in the grip of mental instability. Theycan find themselves wandering around aimlessly, forgetting things, andnot being able to finish what they started. Physical symptoms also canappear -- tightness in the throat, heaviness in the chest, an emptyfeeling in the stomach, tiredness and fatigue, headaches, migraineheadaches, gastric and bowel upsets. 4) Guilt – At this stage anindividual can begin to feel guilty about failures to do enough for thedeceased, guilt over what happened or what didn’t happen. 5) Hostility– Some individuals feel anger at what “caused” the loss of the lovedone. 6) Inability to Resume Business-as-Usual Activities - the abilityto concentrate on day-to-day activities may be severely limited. It isimportant to know and recognize that this is a normal phenomenon. Agrieving person’s entire being – emotional, physical and spiritual, isfocused on the loss that just occurred. Grief is a 100% experience. Noone does it at 50%. 7) Reconciliation of Grief – balance in lifereturns little by little, much like healing from a severe physicalwound. There are no set timeframes for healing. Each individual isdifferent. 8) Hope - the sharp, ever present pain of grief will lessenand hope for a continued, yet different life emerges. Plans are madefor the future and the individual is able to move forward in life withgood feelings knowing they will always remember and have memories ofthe loved one.

bodyOffer(25372)

Grieving is difficult work. The following are some suggestion to help in navigating the journey through grief.

-Take time. Don’t let others rush you into “getting over” your feelings.
-Don’t make major decisions. The time of grief is a time of instability.
-Avoid the temptation to use alcohol or drugs to numb the painful feelings.
-Cry. Tears are the healthiest expression of grief. Don’t try to hold back crying for the sake of others.
-Know that there will be good days and bad days. Pangs of intense griefcan surface during holidays, significant events such as birthdays oranniversaries.
-Remember the loved one often and as much as you need to. Look atphotographs, read old letters and retell your memories to friends andother members of the family.
-Seek people who will understand your need to talk about what happened.Seek out people who will really listen to your remembrances.
-Allow yourself time to heal. Pay attention to your health. Make sureyou are getting enough sleep. Eat a healthy diet. Get outside in thesunshine for exercise or a mild walk.
-Ask for what you need from others. Accept what help they offer. Now is not the time to try to do everything by yourself.
-Seek out grief counseling if you feel you cannot cope alone. Griefcounseling is available through community resources, churches andlicensed therapists. Join a grief support group. Local community paperswill usually have listings. Use the Internet and join an electronicbulletin board dedicated to supporting individuals who have lost lovedones.
-Remember your grief is individual to you. Not everyone’s grief isidentical to yours. You will share some similarities with others, butgrieving is a very personal and very individual process.

Death like any great wound leaves a scar. It may heal and the pain mayease but the mark is always there. But the memories of the loved oneare always there also. The most important thing to remember is -- thereis no right way or wrong way to grieve. People grieve in their own timeand in their own way. The second most important thing to remember is –everything you feel during bereavement is normal. The third mostimportant thing to remember is – if you feel you cannot cope with yourloss alone, you don’t have to. Seek help. Grief is the pain of nothaving the person who is gone. Through bereavement we learn to livewithout that person and in the words of St. John Chrysostorn, a bishopliving in the fourth century: He whom we love and lose is no longerwhere he was before. He is now wherever we are.

[/align]Written by Gerry Trickle
Copyright 2002 by PageWise, Inc

Latest posts

Back