Getting our rabbits spayed and neutered tomorrow .. what should we expect?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staceyanne0

Reaction score
Hi all!
We are getting our male bunny neutered and our female spayed tomorrow. I’m so nervous for them!! Also what should I expect when they come home?! I haven’t had them long so what’s behavior I should look out for good/bad. Any advice would be much appreciated ! We got our female bunny 5 days ago and our male bunny less than 6 months. My poor babies :(

Keep them warm(they usually get cold easily after anesthesia) and encourage eating. I always had the best luck offering leafy greens like cilantro, parsley, green/red/romaine lettuce, etc. It's preferable to stick to ones their digestive system is already used to, to minimize the chances of digestive upset occurring. It's always a bit stressful until they start eating again.

This link also has useful info on post surgery care.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Thank you ! We are picking them up tonight and I’ll make sure to bring some blankets for them as I didn’t put any in there when I took them! Now I feel bad :(

You may also need to actively keep them warm with a heating pack. I use a cotton bag or sock filled with rice heated in the microwave for a few seconds. Just be careful and check to make sure it's not too hot before placing in your buns area. I also wrap the pack in a hand towel. I just place it in their area and usually leave it up to them if they want to lay next to it, but if their ears feel cold then I will try to encourage them to sit near it by placing it next to them. And continue to monitor their body temp by checking their ears regularly. If their ears feel warm, they are warm.

Latest posts

Back