getting new dwarf rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2old4rabbits

Reaction score
We are getting some new dwarf rabbits this weekend. My kids like two different dwarfs, a Netherland dwarf and a Holland lop. Can you keep these two together?

Both of these breeds have very different personalities. I would suggest you read a bit about both breeds of rabbits.

I've had both and of the two of them - I prefer the Lops - but we have members on here who have Nethies and really enjoy them - JadeIcing comes to mind as does Stan and his rabbit Pebbles and there are others whose names escape me.

I would be careful about getting two boys though because as they mature - you will find they will fight. I had two Netherland Dwarf brothers who slept together and played together until their hormones hit and they matured and then they wanted to kill each other - even after being neutered they were still aggressive towards each other.

Supposedly I have been sold 2 females. A quick trip to the vet soon confirm that I hope. Thanks all.

I would keep them apart for at least a little bit, especially if they have not been together before. You will want to make sure both of them settle in OK and are eating like they should. You also don't want any accidental breeding if the breeder mis-sexed them. As they are probably not used to each other, putting them together right away without an introduction period could lead to fighting.
If you don't have any breeding or showing plans, it would be best to get both of them fixed (spayed or neutered). They will probably get along better without the hormones getting in the way. Depending on what sex they are, you can get them done between 5 and 6 months old.
Keep in mind that not all rabbits will get along with others. The rabbits you get may not like each other, but may like other rabbits.

Congratulations on your new bunnies!! :pinkelepht::balloons::party::happyrabbit:

These rabbits had been together for a couple of weeks. Initial observations seem promising that they may cohabitate peacefully, but it may be too soon to tell.

:yeahthat:
Going through puberty can make two bunnies that were bff's hate each other.

Wanted to weigh in on which breed: they're different, but both very enjoyable. Hollands are snugglier but lazier, and Nethies are adorable to watch run around because they're so active.

Keep us updated! And PICS!!

I meant to add that we ended up getting a Holland lop and a Dutch. My daughter liked a particular Dutch rabbit better. Hope this is okay.

I have a Dwarf/Mini Lop bonded pair, but other wise all my Dwarf rabbits have been fine with other rabbits outside their cages, but not wanted to share their space with anyone.

If they are both girls and are getting along now that's great - spaying them will help save that relationship. Just like with us hormones can ruin things, especially at a certain age!I have Hollands, but have never had a Dutch, so I'm not sure of their personalities. I know different breeds can bond just fine, but it's all about personality and definitely has a lot to do with spay/neuter/temperament...

Good luck, look forward to some pictures and an update.

I have a male and female. The female is a lionhead mix and the male is a Netherland Dwarf. They get along perfectly well. They love each other.

You just need to watch out for aggressive behavior with the rabbits when they mature. But getting them spayed/neutered should be no problem as their aggressiveness will be less of a hassle.

I have a Holland and a Dutch bonded pair. It's a good match--Dutches are sometimes crafty and intelligent and like to get into trouble, and my Holland is kind of slow and very sweet.

We need pics!

Latest posts

Back