Getting neighbor's rabbit out of a bad situation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I’m brand new here, and looking for some advice. Sorry this is a little long-winded, but I want to be sure to convey the entire picture…

Our neighbors have a bunny that is in a sad situation, and my wife and I can’t stand letting it go on without trying to do something about it. Their daughter, who is about 14 or 15 years old, has lost interest in her bunny, as often happens with kids. She used to have several other bunnies, which they recently rehomed, but she has kept this one for some reason. So, the bunny spends all night and all day in a hutch outside alone.

The daughter has been going back and forth with her mother to their second home out-of-state, leaving her dad to take care of the bunny for weeks at a time. He basically makes sure she has food and water, but doesn’t spend any time with her or give her any attention. (I’m pretty sure she gets very little if any attention from anyone over there.)

When we happened to learn of the situation from talking with the dad, we asked if we could bring the bunny over to our house each day for some exercise and attention while the daughter is away. He agreed to let us do that, and even to keep her at our house for several days during the recent severe heat wave. (I’m not sure she would have survived that heat, since he didn’t really seem to have a good plan for protecting her.)

We’ve been maintaining a good relationship with the dad, and expressed our desire to adopt her if they decide to rehome her. But so far, they haven’t approached us about adopting her. We currently have four happy, healthy bunnies that live in large pens in our house, and we feel desperate to adopt her and give her a better life. I can’t understand why anyone would want to keep a bunny just to ignore most of the time. It’s heartbreaking!

If anyone out there has encountered a similar situation, and has any advice on how to convince someone to rehome their rabbit, I would so appreciate it. We’ve already intervened quite a bit, and don’t want to push too hard. But, it seems like we need to keep being proactive for this bunny’s sake. Thank you!

If there is no actual illegal animal abuse occurring, all you can do is what you've done so far, offer to help watch and care for the rabbit, and adopt if they decide they no longer want to keep the bunny. You could take that a step further and offer to take in and rabbit sit full time while the daughter is gone. You could also offer to buy the rabbit. Sometimes people aren't willing to give a pet away for free, but will be willing to if there is some compensation. Though do carefully consider a good approach for this idea, as some could also find it offensive.

Of course approach any ideas delicately in a caring, non confronting or accusing way. It may take some time and gentle persistence, but if done right, eventually the dad may decide the rabbit is just better off with you.

If there is no actual illegal animal abuse occurring, all you can do is what you've done so far, offer to help watch and care for the rabbit, and adopt if they decide they no longer want to keep the bunny. You could take that a step further and offer to take in and rabbit sit full time while the daughter is gone. You could also offer to buy the rabbit. Sometimes people aren't willing to give a pet away for free, but will be willing to if there is some compensation. Though do carefully consider a good approach for this idea, as some could also find it offensive.

Of course approach any ideas delicately in a caring, non confronting or accusing way. It may take some time and gentle persistence, but if done right, eventually the dad may decide the rabbit is just better off with you.
Thank you, we will continue to exercise patience and gentle persistence, and hopefully have the best possible outcome for the bunny.

I got Marlowe from a neglectful situation, but he wasn’t even outside. He was in a small pen, maybe one hop across and a half a hop wide, in a back room, alone for days and nights on end for months. I’m not sure how he survived. But I actually just asked if I could have him. And she said yes! So maybe just ask.

Thank you, we will continue to exercise patience and gentle persistence, and hopefully have the best possible outcome for the bunny.

I wouldn't wait for them to approach you but make a clear, outspoken offer with the baseline that the rabbit is very happy when with you and your rabbts,, and invite the daughter to come visit her anytime. I understand that the father can't "give the bunny away", but it might work talking to both of them when the opportunity arises.

On the other hand, if you got an inkling that the father needs something living to care for, I wouldn't press the issue. I mean, I have rabbits because I wouldn't have much of a reason get out of bed without.

Back