Getting Clean?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
Today Simon got bene bac all over. Decided he didn't want to take his meds as nicely as yesterday. Oh well..
Anyway, it got on his cheeks and chest and I was loathe to give him another bath in such a short amount of time..
I was just going through a post and saw some advice on home made ways to clean and I was wondering because of the gel factor what would work on that...as is I don't like messing around with his head...don't want to pour water over his head, get his ears wet and what not. I keep hoping he will clean himself up...but he sort of looks like a ratty old man now...lol

Hi Orchid, I would just let him clean it himself, he will eventually. That way he'll also eat the meds, one way or another :p.
If you don't want to wait, you could try just a wet wash cloth, and gently try removing the stuff. It's not considered a good idea to bathe bunnies, because it stresses them out so much.
Though some do learn to enjoy it.
If he's already not well though, and you've already bathed him, I wouldn't do it again so soon.

I tried wiping it away a little bit, but it really didn't help...now his mutton chops look all greasy..poor guy..lol
Yeah I don't want to bath him again..last time was only because he was covered in poo...and that was only a few days ago. Tuesday evening actually.
He has been doing so much better I don't want him to catch a chill and get sicker.
Just was wondering if there was perhaps something simple I could do to help him out...as I don't know how he will reach his chest...he got it smeared like right under his chin..ah well...

Thanks though!

You'll be surprised at what he can get out. With the treatments he may get yuck under there but once its done that hair will basically molt out and come back in nicely.

He will eventually clean all that off himself. But you do and should keep the area as dry as possible.

If the area is wet then the skin could start to break down. The fur will fall away easier which makes it easier for them to swallow, which can lead to further problems. I had this happen to a beloved rabbit, and regret that I wasn't more diligent in keeping the area as dry as I could

Zeke got very icky and stinky when he had to wear his lamp shade for three weeks. He smelled so bad, I really felt bad for him. And his downstairs area was all greasy from the creams I had to put on it.

He did a good job of cleaning himself up. A couple days later, he was all clean and fresh smelling.

Bunnies are very good groomers, and most are very fastidious. Most will clean all the gunk off them with out help.

If he can't get it off after a day or so, I would try to help him out a bit. Using a wet face cloth would probably be best.

--Dawn

Because it is greasy the face cloth didn't help much...some but not alot...
What would really be the point of cleaning him now anyway..we still have what 6 days till the meds are done. After that I will worry more if he doesn't clean up some.

Is there a way to help him from getting his legs, on the bottom, all yellow or is that just part of having a mostly white rabbit?

I think the yellow fur is just part of a white rabbit. Baxter's fur is always a bit yellow on his feet and around is butt skirt. Most of the bad discolouring will molt out and become whiter with each molt that he's in a nice clean environment.

You might be able to try a bit of corn starch to get the grease out. Sprinkle some on his greasy parts, and brush it out. The corn starch should absorb most of the grease.

--Dawn

*edited because I left a sentence half finished...*

Latest posts

Back