Getting "chinned"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley N. Hopps

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm wondering about a little behaviour Barley does occasionally - "chinning" things. When I have time, I hand feed him his salad and if I offer something, like a lettuce leaf for example, that he doesn't want just now, he briefly touches it with the underside of his chin and then politely turns his head away, waiting for the next offering. This morning, I poked my finger into his house to rub his nose and I got chinned! I understand there's some sort of gland under their chin - am I (and the lettuce) being claimed as his property or something? He is neutered.

If I stick my finger through Ash's pen he almost always chins it. I think he is claiming you and the lettuce as his. I could be wrong though. I think its kind of cute when they do it. :)

Yes, they have a scent gland under their chin. When they rub their chin on something, they are marking their territory, basically. Humans can't smell it, but other rabbits can.

Back