Getting Bunny to Take His Meds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bunny Linus was given a prescription for Valbazen for E. Cuniculi. I'm supposed to give him the medication twice a day, but I'm having a hard time catching him to get him to eat it. Is there any way I can sneak it into a treat, like some cooked mashed carrots? Any recommendations for giving a bunny an oral, liquid medicine would be much appreciated, because I want him to get better but he's making it difficult.

Thank you!

I'm not sure how "liquid" this medication is , however you could attempt to flavor it yourself withsugarless flavored coffee syrup if you wish to try to give it by syringe. if you you wish to mix it with food you could try to take a small piece of banana and give it to him in mashed banana.
the only problem with mixing it in foods is that you need to get the rabbit to eat the entire portion which is sometimes difficult
I was surpised to learn upon looking up this medication that it is albendaozle. Current thought on treatment is the use of Ponazuril but even if treating with the "bendazoles"......fenbendazole (which is easily accessible) is preferred over albendazole.

Please read entire question and answer. Dana Kremepls is a very legit source

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/2009/5/Rabbit-head-tilt-need.htm

Sit on your knees with your feet crossed behind you, to keep the rabbit from scooting out backwards.

9952.jpg

Lean way over so you're almost face-to-face with the rabbit to block an "upward" escape attempt. (If I'd leaned all the way over, all you'd see in the photo is my long hair.)

9951.jpg

Place the syringe in the gap between the rabbit's front teeth (incisors) and the molars. Aim toward the opposite cheek, not straight down the throat. Use your other hand to control the rabbit's head, gently. Squirt the meds slow enough to let the rabbit swallow, but fast enough to keep him focused on swallowing.

9950.jpg

Hope this method works for you.

I now only give my rabbits pill medications. Not sure if you can get your med in pill form. But I either wrap it up in a crasian or stick it in a small piece of banana. I have tried the oral meds and it was horrible. One thing that did help with the oral meds is sitting in the bathtub with the rabbit to give the meds. It was an unfamiliar environment so they didn't try to run as much. Good luck.

there was one banana flavoured medecine that max would just LOVE! it smelt so nice he would just gobble it up quick smart.

for another medicine we just wrapped him in a "bunny burrito" (just wrap him in a towel so that all is visible is his face) and then put the syringe in his mouth :)

Latest posts

Back