Getting bunnies out of their cage...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuellaJean

Reaction score
Okay, my bunnies are in a large cage on a table in my office. They're about 3 feet from the ground, so my dogs won't harass them. I've read that the best way to get your bunnies to trust you is to NOT pick them up, but how else should I get them out of their cage? Its too big for me to move down to the floor every time I let them out to play and it's awfully high up to have a ramp... thoughts? ideas?

Here's a pic
a25ea56c.jpg

You might want to invest in something like this:

unnamed.jpg

Pet Stairs

I got a cheap plastic and fabric set at Walgreens a while back, and it really helped me get Poe out and about more often. :)

My bunny's cage is about 2 feet off the ground and my husband built a ramp out of wood that fits into the door of the cage (only about 6 inches wide). I covered the woodwith that rubber mat stuff that is used to line kitchen cabinets, so that our bunny can grip it. It has made a world of difference in her bonding with us,now that we never pick her up. For the first two days, I had to bribe her in and out of the cage by putting pellets (food) going up or down the ramp. It took a lot of patience and about 20 minutes, but now she SO loves her ramp, she runs up and down it ALL the time. And we never pick her up.

I would post a picture of it but I dont know how to :?. Sorry!

My bun is getting more of the DONT PICK ME UP now that hes a little older. I've been having the same problem - not wanting to do anything to scare or hurt him. Glad you posted this!! :)

this is how I did it originally:

moz-screenshot-5.png
4374895.jpg

Now I just put a regular chair in front of the cage and the stairs next to the chair.

He hops on the chair and then scampers down the steps. :)

I would put it on the floor and leave it there. Could you put the cage under the table and the stuff on top? I have my cages on the floor and I have no problem getting them out they happily hop out but I have to do the craisin bribe to get them back in. I haven't had to pick them up in ages.

All of our bunnies have had to get used to being picked up. We do have to handle them to clip nails, clean glands, etc. I just don't try to hold onto them for an extended period of time. When it's time to go up, I have an apple box that has cutouts at both ends with a litter box full of shredded newspaper--I herd them into it and put it up to their door. you could make a set of steps out of cardboard too as its cheap and easy to work with. I've even got a two level maze I made out of eight boxes placed in one huge box. Good luck.

Ok the picture is small but I posted it the best I could. This is our bun's ramp. It is made of wood and has hindges that swivel a little playform for her to stand on in the cage. We just pull the ramp out to clean her cage of close her in the cage (rarely). She absolutely loves the freedom this ramp gives her!!!!

I would love for the cage to be on the floor, but my dogs would harass them constantly and I can't close the door to the room they're in because they need the circulation- that room gets really stuffy when the door is shut. I'll see what I can do about a ramp though... or maybe I can just rehome the dogs.... just kidding!

Latest posts

Back