getting antibiotics in a syringe in to a rabbits mouth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a tricky one. I've been tryingto give Fudge her anti-biotics via a syringe for the past two days, andI'm sure which one us if winning!

Anyway, following my vet's advice, Iplace Fudge ona table with herbottom pressed against me. I thenwrap my arm around her, placing my hand under chin (not too tightly,but just enough to keep her still). Onceshe'ssettled, Itry to get the syringe in the sideof her mouth and under her tougue - this is the difficult bit.

If your bunny is wriggling around it may be worthwhile getting someoneto hold her while you administer the medicine. Alternatively,you could try wrapping her a in towel to keep her still.

I hope this helps, but if your bunny is anything like mine, the whole process is a bit of a battle ;)

sounds like some good way

the rabbit i am trying to get to take antibiotics is winningtoo only got half down him rest went over usboth as he bit me twice to get loose

and i have to give him more tonight

i also have to wash him in salt water down below and that is going to be fun

Welcome aboard A Loves Bunnies, :)

Did you mean for your username to read "I love bunnies" because if so,I can change that for you. Perhaps your name begins with an A thoughand that works too and in which case it should be left alone.

For pills, I've used a cat pill popper and it worked very well for me.If you wish, you could put it in a needless syringe or eyedropper afteryou've diluted it in water.

As to with a syringe, be the "Kahuna Rabbit" (as our Fine Buck Joneswould say) and when you hold the rabbit, cradled in your arms like ababy, hold firmly, and then push the pill or syringe in on the side ofthe mouth, just behind the front teeth. There's an opening that you canget into right next to the front teeth. Push it back as far as you cango, and wait for the chewing. I have to repeat this process at least 3xwhenever I give Tucker, a pill because he'll hold it in his mouth andthen spit it out.

Why does your little one need antibiotics?

-Carolyn

The best way to give a rabbit medicine by asyring is... Mix the medicine in something. Sticking a syring in arabbits mouth, will make your little one hate you. I speak fromexperience. Yougurt or pineapple juice, whatever your little oneprefers...

I do exactly what carolyn does, hold the bunnyupside down, or vertical, if you know what i mean, then stick thesyringe in the side of the mouth and slowly give it some untill you seethe chewing. If he doesn't chew at it you might want tosquirt some in his mouth then turn him back over while he eatsit. It might be easier to get a helper to hold therabbit.

hi Carolyn

ty but its ment to be a A its just a name i use when on messaging on forums (Athena )

and as for the antibiotics its because well i have 3 rabbits which werebrought the kids for christmas and the breeder sold us 3males and told us they would live happy together in one hutchas long as they had plenty of room to run around which theyhave

but the two biggest ones have started to try and both be theleader of the pack and are fighting and some how the onerabbit which is called ginger has been bitten down below on his privateparts which he now has a infection in it

so i am having to clean him with salt water which is not that easy

and also feed him antibiotics twice a day

i am hoping after they have both been nuetered as soon asginger can be they will carm down and not fight so much

Back