Getting an "old" doe spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xila

Reaction score
*Should this be in the Rabbitry and Show Room? I wasn't sure. Feel free to move.*
*I also apologize if this has been asked before, and I just missed it*

My friend has this rabbit, who is about six years old. Lately, she's been getting sort of serious about having her spayed. It just occurred to me, though, is that too risky of an age to spay her at?

How old is "too old" to spay a doe?

She keeps her rabbits outside, but if it is okay to spay her, I'd cover most/all of the cost (she's short on money) as long as she lets me keep them at my house to recover. (I say "them" because she has a bonded mate) With the colder whether, and her three-inches of filth and over flowing litter box she calls a cage, I don't think that would be a good environment to recover in.

Oh, also, said doe has had a litter before, if that would somehow change anything.

Answers? Tips? Experiences?

~Xila :purplepansy:

I don't think it matters how old, though I'm not sure, someone else will tell you soon I hope :)

I think , as with most animals, the older they are the more risky it could be. I have a rabbit that i got and he was 3-4 years old at best guess and i got him nutered with no bad things happening. They did have to do some pre op blood work and they did give him an antibiotic befroe hand too.

oh and it wou ld defintely be a good idea that if they were to get her spayed for her to recover in cleaner conditions, hate to go through all that for her to get an infection because of unsanitary conditions.

I have heard of buns as old as 8 and 9 getting done as long as the vet feels it is safe for the bun.

Thanks, everyone.

If it does happen, I'll defiantly ask my vet's surgen about his confidence. I do remember when I got BunBun neutered, they asked how old he was and told my mom they like to do blood work on rabbits over four (or three? I dunno) that were getting spewtered. So they do seem to know about that.

But, yeah. I'll definatly ask some questions.

Thanks for the fast responces!

~Xila :purplepansy:

ETA: And, yeah, if this does happen, I'd only do this as long as it's agreed she and her brother (The doe and her brother, not the owner and her brother) can recover at my house.
(She doesn't have money, her parents won't pay, and they also won't drive them to the vet. So, if I don't agree, it's not happening.)

Back