Getting a Second Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spock

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

My boyfriend and I are looking to upgrade Spock's (2 year old Dutch, neutered) cage and possibly get a second rabbit.

Spock usually has free run of our small apartment 99% of the time. However, we just got a Springer Spaniel puppy so he has been spending more time in his cage. He still gets to roam free at night (when puppy is caged) and is out when the puppy is under our direct supervision. The puppy and Spock get along well, but she does like to chase (we stop it immediately) and well, accidents can happen. We have 3 cats who Spock adores, and vice versa.

We are also considering getting a second rabbit. The new rabbit would be housed in Spock's old cage while they bond, and then ideally they would then live together in one house.

This is the current cage (not Spock pictured!)
CG-76228-59085H_545-cage.jpg

And this is the pen I am considering getting (with the rood add-on):
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000FS6INU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It would be 9 square feet - is that large enough to house two rabbits?

Would love the hear your input on this. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer metal to plastic for pens because some rabbits will chew the plastic and can escape or ingest the plastic and get an intestinal blockage. Have you read up on bonding rabbits? I was not able to bond my rabbits so I encourage people to do their research first.

I also would feel better with a metal x-pen. But they don't come with a roof option as far as I know. They can however make use of an existing wall to make the space larger like in the photo below.

If the plastic in the pen you linked is thick enough to deter chewing, then perhaps you could get two and connect them together somehow to double the space. 9 square feet doesn't seem very large for two rabbits in my opinion.

If the arrangement you describe is going to be permanent -- with the dog out during the day and the rabbit(s) out during the night -- then perhaps you might be able to find a corner to make something similar to the 2nd photo. Just not so large. Then the rabbits would have a larger more permanent space. You wouldn't have to constantly switch them.

The second photo isn't mine. I found it once on pinterest.

sams x pen.jpg

cute indoor setup.jpg

I have that very same plastic X Pen, only with more panel. One of my Flemish is somewhat of a chewer but I can't say she chewed the pen too much and it held her fine. YMMV

Latest posts

Back