Getting a pair of baby bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toady

Reaction score
Next week I'm heading up to the rescue where I got Loki from to look at the litter of babies they had born to a pregnant doe, they're now ready to go to new homes. I was planning on getting two brothers, of course they will be neutered about 4-4.5 months old before they get too hormonal to hopefully remain bonded.

What kind of things do I need to know about keeping a pair of siblings versus keeping a single bunny? I'm converting my 4 ft crate (use to be Ash's) and planning on putting a second level in and a ramp up to it. They're also have access to the alcove and study area for hopping around.

I'll post pictures up when I get back with my new babies but still haven't thought of names as yet.

I believe they can be neutered as soon as their testicles descend, which is often earlier than 4-4.5 months :)

I highly recommend having a contingency plan ready ahead of time in case they do start to fight - even if you get them snipped right after the hormones kick in, it can take as much as 2 months with males for them to be totally gone.

it's also possible to make it to spay/neuter time with no fighting at all only to turn around and find them fighting and in need of re-bonding shortly afterward - that's what I'm going through with my two girls right now.

aside from twice the food bills/potential for vet bills, keeping two is pretty much the same as keeping one as long as they're bonded. babies will bond instantly; it's hormones and adulthood that can make things tricky later.

If you'd like things to go easier, you could consider an already bonded (fixed) pair. Have you thought of that as an idea? If the rescue has bonded pairs, then you'll be assured of a lasting bond. It is possible for the brothers to break their bond after neutering. If you are ok with that possibility and the potential of having to house them separately, then go for it. Otherwise, you may want to consider the already-bonded option.

If you can't find an already-bonded pair you like, you could get just one rabbit now & after he or she is neutered, the 2 of you can visit the rescue & choose a companion.

The rescue doesn't really have bonded pairs, they have two large fenced pens where the bunnies roam where they want and have safe areas to sleep in and hide in (the rescue is located out of town)

I am prepared to separate them if needed and have enough room for another crate or to try and bond one of them with Loki who's already neutered if things don't go as planned

babies are more work in some ways and you have to deal with the hormonal phase, plus they're more expensive because you have to pay to get them fixed instead of adopting already fixed bunnies, but they're oh-so-precious - I've enjoyed watching my two girls grow up from 7-8 weeks old to 20.5-21.5 weeks old. I lucked out and they made it to their spay dates without getting hormonal and fighting at all, but something in the recovery period has upset their bond so I'm having to re-bond them. same sex bonds are supposedly much tougher, but I think growing up together makes it a lot more doable - my girls are already well on their way to being re-bonded.

Well it's 3 weeks since I went up to the rescue and had a look at the babies, I came home with two sisters instead of two brothers. They're 12 weeks old now and slowly growing up, they're still quite nervous little things but can't expect miracles in such a short time.

Bunnygirls1.jpg

In the carrier on the way home, as you can see they weren't overly big bunnies to begin with, the broken girl is Athena (Thee) and the grey/tan girl is Persephone (Seph). Thee was about 550 grams when I weighed her and Seph was 750g soon after I got them, on the weekend Thee was 750g and Seph was 975g.

Girls4.jpg

They're always curling up with and grooming each other, so far no fighting and they're going up for their spay surgery in 4 weeks time.

Latest posts

Back