Getting a new mattress.....help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellaterra214

Bellaterra214
Reaction score
So I currently have a tempur-pedic mattress and we have had problems finding ways of guarding the side of the bed from the rabbits, without totally cramping my style. Sebastian has successfully pulled out enough foam that he has created a tunnel halfway through my mattress and I need to get a new bed.

Went mattress shopping today and finally picked the Sterns and Foster Eloise ultra firm mattress. Great, but it also has memory foam and a gel layer I don't want my rabbits getting into. All of our rabbits are free roam and thinking of ideas on how to safe guard my bed from becoming a burrow.

Any ideas, pictures and suggestions would me much appreciated.

What sort of bed frame do you have your mattress on? I have an IKEA bed that has built in drawers on the bottom which means the rabbits can't get under the bed, but I can still put stuff there which was important to me. The mattress also sits down in the bed frame maybe 4-6 inches so that helps too.

The mattress that I am getting come with a Stearns & Foster White Queen Bed Foundation, but that sits on the ground. Here's the product page.

http://www.sears.com/stearns-foster...CO50057701B?prdNo=23&blockNo=23&blockType=G23

I love Ikea furniture, but their bed frames have a major flaw. The wooden planks you lay across the railing that are suppose to support the mattress, move around so much! Every time you flip a mattress, you have to read adjust those planks. Had the bed a year before it drove me crazy, but it was very good at keeping the rabbits from getting under the bed.

^Drive a screw into each plank, or if you want to remove them in future, into either side of each plank so that it just sticks out. Will stop them from moving around :)

Thinking about building a NIC border around the base of my bed. Looking into spacer options.

What if I buy from 90 degree angles, thinking something pine, use that on the corners so the fence sits an inch or so away from the bed. I've seen on quite a few photos of NIC border used to keep them away from the walls and baseboards or even the edge of the carpet. Did any of you guys use spacers so they can't push the fence closer? Maybe some PVC piping?

After trying this way and that, stubbing toes at night, getting caught in the fence, tripping at night and falling into a corner. Which I miraculously avoided hitting with my awesome reflexes! ......who am I kidding~ hit the corner with my shoulder and face planted into a litter box. Not a very clean one I might add. bad mommy

I finally just went ugly, but so far no on has messed with the bed. "crossing fingers" If there's single frayed corner it will void my warranty. My masterpiece below. Have cut the zip ties since and please excuse the messy bed.

Latest posts

Back