Getting a large rabbit ; How do I prepare?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypusstar

Reaction score
I'm getting a 3/4 Flemish, 1/4 Mini-Rex. Should round up to 13lbs. I was wondering if anyone could give me tips, advice. anything so I can have a happy bunny. I was wondering if there were any behavior issues with these breeds or what. The lady I've been talking to says shes had no problems with her rabbits, but if anyone has any info that would be great =D

I will be a first time rabbit owner, and I've been reading up on everything rabbit for the last few weeks to prepair. I'm also a little concerned about a proper cage size for a 13 pounder. Me and my boyfriend were going to build one ourselves to make sure its big enough for him and a litter box. We have a bunch of ideas on what we want to do, but we're not too sure if it would be right for the rabbit so I'm asking for some advice =D

We were thinking about knocking out the shelves in an old book shelf to use as a play pen, I'm not sure if the book self we have is painted or not, I haven't seen it yet, its at my boyfriend's dad's house. I was wondering if this would be a good idea or not? Anyways if you guys have any neat ideas or tips i would love to hear them!

We have a library at the bottom of the full forum page with all kinds of articles re. bunny care.

I am going to alter your topic heading so it will be more specific

I don't know where all the large rabbit owners are today but this may help give you some idea although many of these homes are for smaller rabbits

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11792&forum_id=17

Remember that a large rabbit needs everything larger and stronger

for ex. a fence to keep one confined would need to be higher than for a small rabbit , water and food bowls, litterboxes should be larger .
if this is your only rabit it would be nice to rabbit proof your home

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12079&forum_id=17
as large breeds need much more room for exercise than smaller breeds
continue to read in the library re. caring anf feeding

and hopefully some of our flemish giant owners will jump in soon.

lol i dont have him yet. but the breeder sent me pictures of the babies. im not sure which ones mine yet. and thanks for the advice

w9upnn.jpg

23ts5jn.jpg

124ewd0.jpg

They are adorable, and a funny mix, you could get a really small one, really big one or an in between one, they mightn't all be the same size and add up to 13 lbs ;)

well...i might not be getting the rabbit now...me and my boyfriend are fighting and it looks pretty bad. i might have to let the breeder know that i cant take one =(
my parents wont let me keep a rabbit here so thats out.

Well everything seems to be working out now. we're actually going to start building our rabbits cage probably tomorrow, well...i am anyways lol. he has to work on a car.

Welcome to the forum Katrina. :wave:

Being a first time rabbit owner is going to take a great commitment and some sacrifices that you may have to do on your own. You can't depend on some one else to do your part. If anything happens, the rabbit will suffer. Good thing you have some time to learn and think about it. Would the breeder take the rabbit back it if it doesn't work out for you?

Best of luck in your adventure of getting a new rabbit. :)

Latest posts

Back