Getting a kitten on December 31st!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
It's been two years since I last had a cat in mylife, and I feel I'm ready to start over again with a new kitten. I'veonly ever had two cats before, the younger one was run over a coupleyears back and the older one just disapeared one day :(. He was my'heart-cat' and I still miss him, but I feel that I am now ready totake another kitty into my life :).

I've been looking at some classified ads and have contacted someoneselling a litter and I have reserved a male kitten. They are 8 weeksold on Decejmber 31st so that's when I'll be able to go and pick himup.I can't wait! :inlove:.

I'm going to get all his stuff ready for him between now and then and stock up on kitten food and litter.

I've attached some pictures of the litter, he'll be one of the lighterorange ones. I wanted the white and orange one at first but it'salready found a home :).

What do you guys reckon for a name? My previous cats were Kitten (greytabby) and Ozzy (black and white). I really hope that he and therabbits can get along. I don't really want him to be an outside cat aswe have a few un-neutered tom cats in the neighbourhood.

I'm really excited and am looking forward to adding to my fur-babies :happydance

*edit: oops! Forgot to add the pictures, here's one and I'll get some more later on*

I'm in love!!! A whole litter of baby Stowaways (my parents' orange tabby)! Congrats on your new baby!

I really can't suggest many names. I usually can't name animals without meeting them and seeing their personality.

Oh, and do you have a room that the rabbits aren't allowedin? I put my kittens in the computer room while the rabbitsare playing.

OH MY!!! They're justadorable!! We used to feed an outdoor stray when I was littlethat we named Mr. Morris. :) But I've always namedbased on personality, too, so it's hard to suggest a name!

Maybe Sherbet? Mr. Tangerine?

They're so cute...be sure to keep us updated on his pictures while he's growing up, ok? How cute...:D

I'm not sure if I will be able to getthe kitten now! The lady who is selling them required a holding depositbut the bank account number she has given me doesn't seem to work. Ikeep getting a "invalid acount/bank" message when I try to transfer itonline. The kittens are only $10 each but she says that if the moneydoesn't show but sorry she'll have to take someone else as a buyer forthe little boy (he's the only boy). Grr! I can't go and give her themoney in person any time soon as she lives pretty far away and seems tonot want to give out an address.

I'll try one more time to transfer it but if it doesn't work I'll haveto look elsewhere. I do have another person I have been contacting whohas a litter of 3 white and ginger and 1 black and grey kitten which Iwas going to go take a look at tomorrow anyway (will take the camera).I'm sort of nervous at the moment though and not too worried if I can'tget a cat as in the morning my partner goes in for a pre-sugery examand it's all I can think about. He'll most likely be having surgerywithin the next 2 weeks and although it's only for a hernia I am stillworried. He's one of these robust and healthy people that never getsick and don't moan about pain, but ignores the rest period afterserious things like this.

The rabbits aren't allowed in many parts of the house, BunBun inparticular is very destructive and goes right for the edges onwallpaper when he can. Lucky is a great escape artist and spent thewhole day roaming the house while we were out on Sunday, much to mysurprise she didn't even poo! She poo's everywhere in the cage andattached pen though. When they have free time it's in the backyard.This is a rental house and I don't want to get booted out as thelandlord is really nice about the rabbits. They both are allowed in thekitchen/dining area and come sit on the couch with me in the eveningsbut that's about it. They have their own room which I can shut. I waseven thinking of building them an outdoor home for the summer days asit gets really hot inside the house.

I hear it's pretty common to keep cats as full time indoor pets in thestates, is that very easy? Don't you find they run out the doors orwindows all the time? I'd like to have the new cat be an indoor one24/7 but with supervised outdoor time on the lead perhaps. Our road isvery busy and I would hate to have another cat get run over.

I was also wondering if two cats is better, although I am home all dayusually, do they prefer to have another cat friend with them?

Most of our windows would have screens on them,and as for the doors, it's just like keeping a dog or something fromrunning outside. I don't condone outdoor cats, there are justso many things that can happen to them.

It must just be an NZ thing then, keepinganimals outdoors. Everything is outside here, cats, dogs, rabbits,birds etc. I suppose it's because most of our country has such a mildclimate and that we don't have dangerous creatures like other countriesdo. The only danger to a cat here would be traffic, or perhaps anothercat, I do prefer to keep pets inside myself. I have a screen door atthe front but never seen screens for windows, I suppose I will justhave to not open them wide enough for a kitten to squeeze through. Iimagine it will be tricky though! Everyone I know thinks I'm nuts forhaving rabbits inside, and tell me I'm being cruel but they do getsupervised time outdoors.

No window screens? How do you keep thebugs out?:? You could probably find a way to rig up somewindow screens for summer.

The only time my kittens have been outside was when they were strays,before they were rescued. From day one we taught them not togo near the door when we are leaving so they've never tried to runoutside. Not even Eve, and she gets intoeverything. They are perfectly happy and don't realizethey're missing anything. I think they think the window islike the fish tanks- there for their amusement but not something theycan get to.

I'm like Missyscove- I don't agree with outdoor cats. I knowit's almost the rule in other countries and it's still very commonhere. But even in the teeny-tiny town I grew up in, outdoorcats would disappear and never come back, get hit by cars, attacked byother cats, etc. My parents stopped letting their catsoutdoors when Scooter was nearly killed by a neighbor's outdoorcat. Not to mention that they devastate songbird populations.

ok first im just gonna say AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! that pic is ADORABLE!!!!!

i have a name!! how about kc? its short for kitty-cat !

i love the name , my aunt gotta cat and called it KC.

good luck with your kitten! :)

XXESTELLEXX

I've always wanted to name my cat Fido..justcause..I know it sounds stupid. lol But, none of our cats was blessedwith that name.

But,they are all so cute!! I want one...

rumpelteazer wrote:

I think copper or Garfield

P.S.they are so cute!!!:inlove:

Copper and Garfield are my two cats that ran away.:bigtears:actually itwas Tigger& Copper but first Tigger's name wasGarfield then we changed it to Tigger.

Minilops I hope everything works out ok for youand you get a kitten you love:), when we were getting our cats earlierin the year, we were going to get a black one and a grey one, but a dogkilled them:(, so we had to wait and get Moppet and Mitten.

It's not very common to have cats indoors 24/7 here either, unless theyare pedigree. Personally, I don't agree and think cats should be in,but my mother doesn't agree, she hates animals in the house, the onlyones we're allowed in the houseare the hamsters.:growl:

But I don't understand why, we got a black kitten last September,Topsy, and she was killed on the road in March, and we got Moppet andMitten in June, and now Mitten is missing and it doesn't look likeshe's coming back:cry4:, if they were indoor cats they would probablyall be fine.

Sorry about that, I'm just really annoyed and missing Mitten, I'mtrying to convince mum to get a pedigree cat but it isn'tworking.:angryrant

Michaelaand the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

Been a long time since I updated! I really lovedreading all your input this morning, thanks guys :D. It's been a bitcrazy around here! We've had the land-lord over wanting to repaint theoutside of the house, my partner had an op on Thursday and is at homefor 10 days, Dodge (rabbit) got inside and attacked BunBun and bit oneside of his top lip :(, and then BunBun and Lucky had to be movedoutdoors for the summer. Mostly it was the landlord requesting this andI had planned to do it anyway as it's so hot in the house and I'mworried about having to go out and leave them in the house with all thewindows shut. One of my brothers good friends was killed a few daysback in a home invasion, he was tied, gaged and killed by two other menand a woman in front of his wife and 3 year old. We also had a murderon our street earlier this year so I HATE leaving anything open unlessit has to be. I am a bit sad to say that at night I sometimes wake upwondering over and over again if I locked the doors and shut thewindows but I'm too scared to get up and check :?.

BunBun and Lucky have their indoor cage out; it's galvanised so will befine. Plus a large hutch attached, all with roofing and walls that canbe added on or removed depending on the weather. The doors are allpadlocked. They love it anyway and they are much more active now andevery day I sit out on the lawn with them and let them out for a run. Istill bring them inside for a lot of the day. They will move backindoors when Autum comes close. I know most of you guys don't likerabbits outdoors but I have made sure they are as safe as possible andbelieve me it wasn't as easy thing to do at first, and they seem sohappy and they are still getting all the attention they are used to.

Who knew it would be so hard to get hold of a kitten this time of year?It's kitten season here right now and there are so many beingadvertised. I didn't end up getting one of the little ginger onesreserved, by the time I figured out that the lady kept giving me thewrong bank account number she had already sold them all to other people:X. So then I went to visit a second lot of kittens close by, told thehusband which one I wanted to reserve but he neglected to let his wifeknow and that's been on-sold to someone else! But FINALLY, 100% sure, Ihave reserved a black and white kitten! Yippee! He's really cute andsweet ;). I didn't take any pictures of him but I have the pic from theauction (well it was a classified, on an NZ site sort of like ebay).Ready for his new home around 17th December. I'm not very good atsexing kittens but I am pretty sure he's a him, I'm not that worried ifhe turns out to be a she though.

About keeping the bugs out with the screens...well I guess I neverthought of that! Only flies or moths would probably come inside anyway,and the occaisional little spider maybe. In the summer I feed thecritters I find to our praying mantis usually or just zap the bugs withthe fly-spray. I can't say that I see many bugs inside.

Thanks for all the name suggestions, I really liked Pippy, aww that's a cute name.

Here's tyhe kitten anyway, I can't wait to have him here at home:

I just got emailed another pic of him, it's hugeand blurry so I made it a bit smaller. Going to pick him up some timearound the 16th December. I've already spent about $100 on stuff forhim :disgust:. Of course I had to get some treats for the bunnies too,so they didn't feel left out :D

Back