Getting a bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amelia1star

Reaction score
Hi! I have bunnies... But they all live outside. I have a lot of questions about starting indoor rabbits. I would love to have one of my babies in my room now that I have my own room. But I was wondering if it would start to smell in the room? Could I just let the bunny run around the room and not have to worry about accidents happening on the floor? I don't know ANYTHING about having an indoor bunny and I thought that some of you would have more reliable answers than the Internet. :) thanks for all your help! View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1428530822.052882.jpg
These are my bunnies... Patch is in my lap and Kiel is in the background!

You would need to litter train your rabbits in order to prevent accidents on the floor. Once they know how to use the litter box, it shouldn't smell as long as you clean it. Mine never smells -I spot clean daily and do a thorough clean of the box and cage with water and vinegar 2 times a week. So as long as you keep up with it, it shouldn't smell! Making sure your rabbits use only the box is important to maintain the cleanliness though

The trick with moving a rabbit indoors is making sure you start out right. You want to be sure that bunny first gets established in his cage before ever letting him roam around in your room. If you let him roam too soon and he has a potty accident, that will be difficult to reverse because the smell will be there and he will have established a bad habit. You'll want to be sure he starts out right.

Keeping him confined in his cage (initially) will help him to establish the cage as "his space." It is easiest to litter train when he is confined in his cage. He will naturally want to keep his cage reasonably clean and 'go' in the litter box.

Once he's good with his potty habits, then you can let him out in a portion of your room first. Too much space too soon can cause potty accidents. You want to be sure he returns to his cage as needed to use his litter box. Gradually he can have access to as much of the room as you like.

If you'd like further information on housing rabbits indoors, you can take a look at a site I created for the purpose of showing people how to house rabbits indoors. I have always housed mine indoors, so you can benefit from some of what I have learned. Here is the site.

You'll have to litter train your bunny. It took mine a couple weeks. Every time he would pee or poop on my floor I would put him in the cage and keep him in there for 5-10 mins then he would come back out to play. Or for some reason (maybe mine is weird) but every time he would start digging into my bed comforter or carpet he would have to poop. So I'd put him in his cage. Rabbits are super smart. Now mine will jump in his cage if he has to go to the bathroom then come back out. It will stink up your room if you don't clean the cage. I have to change the cage every other day. Which is good for him anyways. But it will stink my room up after the second day. And how I know this is my mom starts complaining 😝 good luck! It really is a joy to have a bunny in your room! They love when you come home and you go in your room. They start hopping and running in their cage. You'll definitely have to get used to sleeping with the rabbit in your room too. It took me a while to actually sleep through the night because my bunny was so loud with drinking water or he will bite his cage. But either way it really is a great thing! Have fun with it! That's mine biting the cage letting me know he wants to get out and play! View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1428555301.360071.jpg

I have to clean my bun box every other day ... if I put it off after that, there was a slight scent of a smell that would begin

clean on a regular basis and everyone will be happy =0)

Latest posts

Back