Gestation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imarni

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right area, but I needed an areaI am not going to be put down for breeding! Ivé joined a club, I plan to show, I will only give them to good homes but I don't feel safe posting elsewhere!

I have a Mini Lop and have bred with my breeder who is giving me some advice, they are both Mini Lops both purebred and well she was mated on the 1st April, has been nesting for ages, there's a fantastic little nest made with fur all pulled out and lined, but it's the 3rd of May and no babies? :?

Any idea's? Can they go this late?

OK well tomorrow will be day 33 so here's hoping! Do they go to all the trouble of even lining the nest and hair pulling if they are having a phantom pregnancy?
She's even pulled her feed bowl in to the nest!

Generally, most does will kindle by Day 32, if they're going to at all.

It is most likely a false (phantom) pregnancy. Especially in first time moms, it is common for them to go through the whole nest building process.

I would leave the nestbox in for at least a week, just incase. And then if nothing, breed her again right away. :)

Noooooo!!!! I was hoping it wouldn't be that, the entire family is going to be devestated :(. Ths truely is a house of no fertility!
How will the Doe deal with this? Will she keep pretending she is pregnant?

Usually if it is a false pregnancy, they'll stop nesting and worrying about it as the due date comes and goes. A false pregnancy is basically just the hormones in the body telling the doe that she should nest and prepare for babies. Whether or not she actually conceived a litter, her body was stimulation by that breeding to prepare. This doesn't happen every time a doe is bred, regardless of conception. But it's something that is common especially in young or first time does.

The good news is that as her body is in this state, this is one of the best times to breed her. Her body is physically and mentally preparing for a litter, so if things don't come through this time, she should be ready for the next time. :)

Don't let it get you down because firstly, she may still deliver. But since *generally* they have a 31 day gestation, she may not. Anyone who says they "breed like rabbits" is actually saying they don't breed at all, because this stuff's not easy! So don't get discouraged, it happens to all of us. Try, try again! :)

My does generally kindle day 32 - don't give up. With her nesting at her due date I doubt it is a false pregnancy. From what most other people say that happens earlier on. I personally have never had a doe have a false pregnancy.

Still no babies, it's day 33:(her nipples are larger and her tummy feels bigger :?I guess I will wait one more day, I am really disappointed, thanks for all the advice everyone.

Definitely leave the nest in for at least a week after, just to be sure. You don't want to take it out too soon and then her deliver outside a nest. :)

Still no babies so I am letter her free range the house again, and she's gone manic like she was before geting mated! OMG these rabbit hormones! I think she's after a male again!

Back