Georgie's wound is now healing (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Georgie! I hope it heals up soon enough! It's good that he doesn't seem to bothered by it.... Sounds like you're doing a great job with him as well! :)

Hi guys,

His wound seems to be doing alright. It's starting to scab a bit and looks like it's healing. I have Mr. Georgie on the desk while his ointment settles so he can't lick it off and getting some pets.

Appetite and curiosity is still high, so that's good.

Here are some pics from just now before I put the ointment on. You can see where the hair was pulled (pink part) and the actual wound. The picture is a bit dark, but you get the gist of it from it.

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o460/SpringBunnies/Georgie/?action=view&current=Spet24002.jpg

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o460/SpringBunnies/Georgie/?action=view&current=Spet24001.jpg

I think it looks like it's on its way to healing, but I'm not sure. Should I clip the hair around it off too, to let some air get into it? Would be worried to mess around with the area too much.

Well whew!!! is I can say really, your little Georgie is in excellent hands.

Personally I would not mess with the area too much, it sounds like the natural healing process will do all the work for you.

If he eats well, gets all the nutrients he needs then his body will do the rest. Besides I think one the first sign of things going wrong is a poor appetite so HOPEFULLY this will all be over soon :)

I have a little "sick bay " area for my buns, they are separated and usually spend one or two nights in the "sick bay" in an enclosed cage with bundles of hay, in my room for any repair jobs. Here they can just eat, poop, drink and get well. I use it for minor scapes and grazes or anything really, that way I can closely monitor sick bun.

Maybe when it heals a little more you could clip around the area.but I wouldn't do it right now by your self as pulling on the hair around it could be painful

Looks like it is starting to heal well on it's own. So much for an expensive and stressful operation!!!!

You may find that once it's scabbed over, the hair will come off with the scab. That's what happened to Pernod's when I just left it.

Glad to hear Georgie isn't too bothered by what happened :)

Jan

Georgie's still in awesome spirits, still comes racing up when I come to the side of his cage (Although I think he's set on the idea every time he sees me, he should be getting something yum to eat!) Wound is still looking good from the brief check I did while I was petting him, but still have to get him out to take a really good look. No oozing or redness, and felt around the wound (on the skin, not on the actual wound)gently and feels normal to the touch and nothing forming, so hopefully it's healing healthy.

Have kept him in his cage other than a few minutes to explore, but do you think having a bit of exercise will hurt? It's on his back leg, sort of were it starts to round where his thigh is, just a tad lower. I don't want to stress the wound since he can get a bit crazy, so might keep him quiet for a few more days.

I don't think I'll keep putting polysporin on it, since it seems to make him want to lick the goo off, so would you think with Baytril alone will keep any infections away? I'll probably start with the polysporin once it's a bit more healed just so it can continue to heal, but seems he doesn't like the sticky feeling of it and licks it off, even if I leave it sitting for 15 minutes, when I put him back he'll then lick it off.

I think it would be good to let him exercise but if it's in a position that would tear the wound open if he hopped I would hold off.

I think it may be safe to use the polysporin less often if he is just eating it.

You could also dilute betadine, soak a cottonball and touch the wound with it.

Alright, great!

Would I be able to get betadine from the drug store? We usually don't use it around the house. Any idea about the dilution ratio, or things to watch out for when using it? (Stinging, ingesting, etc).

As far as I know, you use it straight with out diluting. Digestion isn't an issue.

My vet recommended I get some for Zeke when he had his accident. He said it's best for a wound where the bunny will be licking it as it's not harmful for them at all.

I think you can find it at a pharmacy. It's the red stuff that gets used for cleaning before surgery.

--Dawn

Alright, great!

Would it be safe to use with this kind of wound, or just closed wounds?

Don't have a picture for today, but seems to be doing well. Around it is still a healthy pink looking, and it seems to be doing well. Would him grooming at the wound cause problems? He isn't constantly bothering it, but when I was spending time with the buns I did see him grooming it.When I checked itafter it wasn'tirritated, but was just wondering if it might cause problems if he fusses/grooms it.

Appetite is still awesome, and still taking his Baytril like a champ. Didn't want to give him too much sugary stuff, so usually just put the baytril on his pellets in the morning and night and he eats them right up. Still his active and friendly self! I gave him a bit of newspaper to keep him occupied with out having to be too active, so he was having fun pulling it apart.

I don't think that you should pour betadine on open wounds but begin to use it when a scab begins to form. Sorry you didn't get this info last night. I still think that it would be fine to dilute the betadine making a very weak solution of it and soak a cottonball and then lightly touch it to the are without rubbing it.

There is only a certain amount that you can do to keep him from licking it without putting on an e-collar although you may want to use a soft cloth around his neck if he should continue to lick it ...then you could be able to use the antibiotic ointment.

i don't know if this helps or not :?

He's doing well! Nothing attitude wise has changed.

Wound is looking normal, still the lightpink skin around the wound, can't see any sign of infection or anything going wrong. It's starting to scab over and the skin seems to be slowly coming together. I think we'll be ok without using an e-collar, since the scabs are still intact and doesn't look bothered.

I have a picture Ineed to load, but it's looking good so far!

Spring wrote:
He's doing well! Nothing attitude wise has changed.

Wound is looking normal, still the lightpink skin around the wound, can't see any sign of infection or anything going wrong. It's starting to scab over and the skin seems to be slowly coming together. I think we'll be ok without using an e-collar, since the scabs are still intact and doesn't look bothered.

I have a picture Ineed to load, but it's looking good so far!
Sounds good. Told you not to worry.

Here is the picture..

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o460/SpringBunnies/Georgie/?action=view&current=Spet26.jpg

Once he's healed and back to his normal self, think I'm going to move Pebbles upstairs so Georgie can have a larger pen. I don't think I'll be doing any bonding in the near future at all after this, and think Pebbles will enjoy being a free ranged bedroom bunny. Will have to have a trial run then go from there, but that's the best thing I can come up with now that I'm going to majorly lay off bonding, at least for now.

Hmm.. for some reason I think I deleted half my post, ah well!

Alls good here! :D

Completely closed with a nice scab over it, seems to be healing awesomely. Since it's firmly scabbed over, decided to put some of the antibiotic ointmenton it just to make sure it continues to heal and stay nice and clean. Also let Georgie out for some play time, which he thoroughly enjoyed!

I'm thinking of moving Pebbles upstairs to be a bedroom bunny next week, then I will redo the 2 pens downstairs. I think it'll be good for everyone, especially Georgie to have more room since he's such an active bunny. I just couldn't keep him in the 2.5x4 for longer than necessary, he'd really thrive on a lot more room. So since I think Pebbles would love having a room all by herself (or so she'll think!) and she is great on carpet and with her litterbox, seems to be the best solution for the time being.

Latest posts

Back