Georgie's wound is now healing (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just had Georgie out for play time then put him back. And he must have jumped over into Pebbles' cage.

He and Pebbles got into a terrible fight, Pebbles seems ok for the most part, but was quite worried when I picked up a clump of fur that had flesh attached to it with Georgie's ticking on it, so I knew he had a bleeding wound.

I found it and it's on his back near his back leg. It's not bleeding, but the wound is quite large. It's in a place where the skin opens and closes when he moves, and that's where the bite is, so it's like the first layer of skin got take off and the inner part of the skin is showing now. It's not deep, but it's quite large. It's not bleeding.

What can I do for him? I'm not sure if I should get him to the vet tonight, I don't know if he needs stitches, but since it's not deep, I don't know? It's not bleeding, but doesn't look too pretty. He is acting fine and I gave him his pellets which he ate. He was even trying to dig at the blanket while I was checking him over, so he isn't in pain that I can tell. Anything I should do now? I didn't want to fuss with it incase it stung him. I'm going to look at it tomorrow to see if it needs to be seen at least to make sure it keeps clean, but do you think since it's stopped bleeding that it is an emergency? I can try to get pictures of it if it helps any.

I'm devastated, and thankful it didn't turn out worse. My wrist got thrashed, have several deep nasty bites on it from trying to break them up.

:nerves1

Not bleeding is good,

I would flush it with sterile saline solution.
And then maybe apply some antibiotic salve.

A vet visit is probably a good idea.
You might be able to wait until tomorrow if he'll leave it alone.
I would be a good idea to keep his activity limited, and keep him in a clean area to avoid the wound getting anything in it.

Prayers and good thoughts sent.

Keep us updated.

Thank you,

I don't have any saline solution, was going to take some gauze and dab it with plain waterand put on some neosporin, but wasn't sure if that was ok for a fresh wound. I don't want to sting him or cause him more harm, but I don't want to get it infected.

He definitely doesn't seem bothered by it and he's definitely getting a sheet clamped on the top of his cage so this won't happen again, even while I was checking Pebbles over he was standing up and seeing if he can jump over the NIC grids. He normally doesn't even attempt to jump out, but he was out for quite awhile this evening, so I guess he didn't know why he was then put back in his cage and wanted out again.

It sounds like the flesh can be pulled back from the wound? is that right. I would do as Jim suggests and also take him to the vet as a precautionary meaure. he may want to glue the area shut, give antibiotics etc.
it sounds like it is not too serious but as we all know these things can turn at the toss of a dime.

i;m fairly sure that he'll be Ok tonight.

What a scare for you!!

neosporin should be OK. To be honest it sounds like the bite that gabriel gave me. Didn't bleed but was deep and the skin could be separated. it was very painful for me however.

i didn't go to the dr. but kept it very clean and covered.

The flesh is totally off, it's open but it's not deep, it's surface but hit enough to make it bleed, the area is red from blood, but is not actively bleeding. I pressed a tissue against it, and no blood came against it. Took me awhile to find the wound.. since I knew it was there, just wasn't sure were. But there was a hefty chunk of flesh actually on the hair tuff, so I knew it was quite bad even before I checked him.

I'll get pictures to show you, I was shocked at how large it is, but it's mainly surface it seems, and it's not bleeding, so I really don't know what to do.

Going to the vet hopefully tomorrow, I don't want it getting infected and turning abscess.

Do you have any bactine,,i have used that on the buns. If not dilute betadine or dilute a little hydrogen peroxide. i would go ahead and put a glob of neosporin over it. you won''t get an abscess if there's no bacteria.

Sweet little Pebbles? Biting?

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point, but clean it as noted and if you have Betadine, use that.

Bites will abscess when they're not taken care of -- or when they go unnoticed, so take a good look with both bunnies.

Marvin chewed Pipp up last week like she was a little cob of corn. She had three or four bites like that and they all healed quickly.

Stitches are required very rarely.

I think you can handle this. So sorry for the stress!

And poor bunnies!

sas :shock:

Yes, Pebbles can be quite nasty, just when we were starting to make progress with bonding, she's always been a nippy, but has never ever done this much damage.

I think she pulled the top layer of skin off, then with that it opened up to bleed on the sides.. because the actual wound isn't bleeding, it's therim of the wound that seems to be were the blood is. And since it's in an area that normal folds and then flattens when he walks I can open it up to flatten it out, looks a lot worse than it seems to be.

Eitherway, phoningtomorrow once mom gets off work at 1 to get him in to Guildford, just in case something can be done. Hopefully they have an appointment open, but they are usually good with hours.

I checked Pebbles over and nothing I can feel, but usually only when the scabs start to form is when I can start feeling any wounds. There was none of her skin on any of the fur tuffs, so going to check her over again tonight then tomorrow to see if she's ok.

Here are the pics, warning may be a bit graphic, but since it's in a weird place I think it looks a lot worse than it is. Just thankful it's not bleeding, no fresh blood comes off when I touch it with a cloth. The pictures of me are flattening the skin to expose, that's not how the wound is. I'll try to clean off the hair in it too, yikes.

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o460/SpringBunnies/Georgie/?action=view&current=Spet22002.jpg

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o460/SpringBunnies/Georgie/?action=view&current=Spet22003.jpg

She's a sweetie with people, but after this I don't know where bonding lies. Will figure that out once everything gets healed.

Mom is going to phone the vet tomorrow once she gets home form work, then will phone me to either pick me up from school to go or what time will be available. Not exactly sure what they'll do with it, but I want to get it seen and have something better to clean it with than just water and putting polysporin (I think that's what we have - not neosporin.. but I think they are the same anyways?).

Georgie is such a trooper, he's still his rambunctious, digging at everything self. I pinned a sheet over his cage so he has no way of jumping out, will have to figure something more permanent tomorrow. Darn foolwith his adventures into dangerous territory!

Thanks for all your help guys,

Spring, I have to recommend a vet visit too, just to be on the safe side. I have a thread on this board about a rabbit that was attacked. Fortunantly he is doing well, but his wounds were untreated for a while and he has a long road to recovery because of it.

I went to the feed store and bought about $55 worth of stuff for him. Some is ok and was put to use on him. Some I can put to use in other ways but a lot was "wasted" money for this instance.

His vet bills so far have been right over $165, less than expected - yet more than what would have been necessary if he had been treated in a timely fashion.

I'm still looking at at least one more visit for him - if not two - and depending on how they go... honestly, there could be surgery on one eyelid depending on how it heals...

So after my ramble, allI can say is as a precaution for the bun and your pocketbook, if you can go ahead with a planned vet visit.

Good luck!

I got back home from the vet an hour or so ago.. and I am absolutely getting a second opinion.

It looks a lot better than last night after I cleaned it up, so still decided to take him to the vet just to make sure. I took him there, and he said he wanted to operate on it, cut out some of the wound and then restitch him up again.. keeping him over night. Apparently it's deep enough to almost reach muscle, but he said we could treat it as an open wound and just keep it clean. I thought putting him under anesthetics and keeping him over night was ridiculous - with the charge of $400 to boot, so I opted to get a second opinion before I did anything that drastic. I was not putting him under for something that could be treated naturally and let it take it's time.

He's acting normal and isn't limping, and I personally think the wound looks better than last night. I got sent home with a 10 day course of Baytril, and going to phone a lady from the rescue to take a look before I take him to see Dr. Upjohn.

I was absolutely shocked, it's not even the cost - it's the fact that he'd have to be cut up and restitched, and stay over night! No way I am putting him through that unless it's absolutely necessary.

Will get pics to show you guys now that it's clean and not bloody. It hasn't bled since, and will start the round of Baytril tonight after I talk with the rescue lady. It's .3cc by mouth every 12 hours, and taken with food, Baytril Inj? Does that sound right?

I'm just worried sick, was not the news from the vet I expected at all.. but going to get a few more opinions on other ways to treat this, something less invasive.

Just an update,

It doesn't seem to be fazing him at all. No personality change at all, eating normal, pooping peeing, although trying to keep his activity down a bit so he can heal.

Since the wounds been clean it's now a pinky colour, doesn't look inflamed or angry. I didn't want to mess with him too much, so will get pictures tomorrow. It looks like a small bite was taken from an apple, there is some flesh missing. The actual wound isn't that large,mostly just bald area (the majority of what the red part in the old photos was).

I gave him his baytril and rechecked the wound, and looks a million times better now that the dried blood isn't there and it's clean. I'll be watching for any inflammation or oozing while I see if I can get an appointment with the other vet.

I have heard that injectable baytril can also be used orally but usually a strong flavoring is needed as the taste is supposedly really terrible I am surprised that the vet didn't flavor the med. 0.3 cc sounds like close to a rabbit dose but I have given it per injection
i totally agree with you. I wouldn't have had the surgery done either. I would get a second opinion.

Maybe the vet thought that if the surgery was not done Georgie 's modeling career would be over because of a scar.???
it sounds like you think it looks like it's healing ..probably is.

I just put it on a slice of banana and he ate it up without second thought. I fed him his pellets before I gave it to him, so he had food in his tummy before I gave it to him. Yeah, I read that too when I was reading up on it, so I smelt it and it does not smell too great! Was surprised he took it so willingly.

I think a slow healing is better than the risks of being put under and the pain. He said it would take around 3 weeks to heal completely, compared to 10 days if we were to do the operation, but would most likely have to be confined and wear an e-collar since he didn't know what kind of stitches until he was in the procedure. Not worth the stress if it's possible for it to heal on it's own. Biggest concern is infection, so on 10 days of Baytril as a precaution.

As long as the wound stays clean, I think it will heal nicely. He isn't bothering it that I can tell, so fingers crossed.

Oh I hope Georgie starts to feel better real soon. I;m sure with all you TLC he's already feeling better.

Susan:sickbunny:

PS

Spring do you have a blog on Georgie, I forget what his story is. Thanks

Latest posts

Back