Genetics question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I have a pair of magpies I was going to use for breeding. However, they are longer in body and have long ears.

I have a nice pair of sable points I am using for breeding. They are much nicer - shorter bodies - shorter ears - etc.

I was thinking about taking my magpie buck to my sable point doe - and of course my sable point buck to my magpie doe.

My goal....to get more magpies but with shorter bodies and ears (closer to the standards).

Will that work?

I know that harlequin is "ej" and the sable points are "e". I figure I'm missing something here...

I know though that sable point can't HIDE magpie - right? Like if theyget the magpie gene - they will show it? (I don't want to mess upsomeone else's breeding program).

Peg

ej e can produce a brindled or poorpattern. Some aa ej e Hollands that I've seen look liketorts, but may have a couple black spots.

Mixing in the shaded gene is also a concern because it can produce sable harlequins.

I wouldn't mix the sable points and magpies.

Pam

Thank you (I think). So would you do magpie to magpie only?

Just curious.

Peg

Back