Genetics help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weedflemishgiants

Reaction score
I'm out of my league here as I go color to color. But a lady called me up who wants my little fawn doe. My fawn doe is out of a fawn father who is fawn at least six gens back and a white mother who is all white going back five gens to one light gray.

Now this lady wants to breed her white buck to my fawn doe and I said no problem. But then come to find out her white buck has almost all light gray and steel background. I pointed out to her if she took the fawn doe from me her resulting fawns could very easily be very messy.

Am I right? what could you reasonably expect from this breeding.

Flemish people are really hinky about crossing colors, their very strict and don't like to see the 'wrong' colors on a pedigree. If her REW has a heavy light gray backround he probably is a light gray genetically, breeding him to your Fawn is going to result in babies with poor coloration, just like you thought, and it can take generations to correct it. I know of someone trying to do exactly that, the Light gray is 4 gens back and their Sandies are still coming up too light. I myself have light Grays, although I'm not breeding Flemish anymore, and I've always stuck to gray to gray. Here's a link to excellant Flemish articles.

http://www.nffgrb.com/FlemishArticles.html

I told her that because she has steel on one side and and a sandy in the background on the other, she would probably get gold tipped steels. She still wanted the rabbit so....

Nice fawn, very showeable so maybe she will change her mind later.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back