Genetics Help please?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and I have another question I hope you all can answer.

What exactly is the color "squirrel"? I know what it looks like and I know it is related to chinchilla but I don't know how.

Squirrel is blue chinchilla. Some breeds call it blue chin and others call it squirrel....

Also, I am confused still. I have done lots of research on rabbits in England as well, and have never heard of an Otter Martin....

The difference between an agouti and a tan pattern?

I am not sure on the genetic code area, but from what I understand, it is a different variant of the agouti gene, so that only certain characteristics are expressed. An agouti has rings. A tan pattern animal does not. A tan pattern animal has some ticking, but no ring pattern that causes the distinct wavy pattern of the agouti colored animals....

TCRabbitry wrote:
The difference between an agouti and a tan pattern?

I am not sure on the genetic code area, but from what I understand, it is a different variant of the agouti gene, so that only certain characteristics are expressed. An agouti has rings. A tan pattern animal does not. A tan pattern animal has some ticking, but no ring pattern that causes the distinct wavy pattern of the agouti colored animals....
That is exactly what I was thinking. So you're sayingthe big "A" is what causes the ring color, and the little "a" is just a solid tan pattern rabbit when paired with the "a[suP]t[/suP]" gene?

Something like that.

That would make sense, because an agouti can carry tan pattern, but tan pattern cannot carry agouti....

TCRabbitry wrote:
Something like that.

That would make sense, because an agouti can carry tan pattern, but tan pattern cannot carry agouti....
There are very well documented cases of two otters throwing a chestnut in NDs, from multiple very respected breeders. Personally I think it's one of those flukes in genetics, but who knows for sure.

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
TCRabbitry wrote:
Something like that.

There are very well documented cases of two otters throwing a chestnut in NDs, from multiple very respected breeders. Personally I think it's one of those flukes in genetics, but who knows for sure.
That will be something very good to look into.

2 otters absolutely cannot produce agoutis - there's no such "fluke", just breeder error.This could easily be proved through a "paternity" test. ;)

That's what I thought..... Being that Tan Pattern is recessive, and agouti is dominant, it would be impossible for a Tan Pattern to produce an agouti.

Just like it is impossible for two solids to produce a broken.

TCRabbitry wrote:
Just like it is impossible for two solids to produce a broken.
Yes - just remember that appearances can be deceiving. I've actually had a couple genetic "brokens" that were pure black except for white toenails (very minimal white). If I hadn't bred them and wasn't aware of the genotypes, I would have sworn they were solids.

How about this Pam:

Black otter X Broken black = Broken tort and black silver marten.

How do you explain that?

lelanatty wrote:
How about this Pam:

Black otter X Broken black = Broken tort and black silver marten.

How do you explain that?

That one is easily explained:

Broken tort because one of the parents is broken and both parents are "Ee" in the E series,because each contributed an "e" to make tort.

Black silver marten because of the tan pattern coming from the otter and both parents carrying something recessive in the "C" series - At least one cchd (chin for silver marten) and the other parent carrying either cchd, cchl, ch or c in the c series.

Thanks! I was thinking about trying it again with completely different rabbits but I am not sure if it would work. However, I may because I don't want to get any more seal martens that have been passed off as black silver martens. The sable gene is my worst enemy at the moment.

TCRabbitry wrote:
Something like that.

Never heard of that... , I have seen brokens from two "solids", the doe ended up being a broken with no pattern expressed on her because when she was bred to a broken she produced a charlie.

leo9lionheads wrote:
TCRabbitry wrote:
Something like that.

Never heard of that... , I have seen brokens from two "solids", the doe ended up being a broken with no pattern expressed on her because when she was bred to a broken she produced a charlie.

False Charlie. They're annoying, and they're really douchey to get nice patterned animals out of, in my experience.

UNLESS you have proven said charlie, when bred to a solid, to produce 100% brokens.

Back