General Bismark I

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuniklos

Reaction score
This weekend at the PA state ARBA convention in Lebanon my fiance (Joe) and I became rabbit parents. The labor was hard and painful, but we finally found our bunny!

I grew up with dogs, birds and goats, and had a rabbit when I was a very small girl. Rabbits have always been my favorite animals, but I was not in the best position to bring a rabbit into my home until recently.

I just graduated with a degree in Anthropology (archaeology) and Art History. Out of school and with a disposable income (as well as all my previous pets passing from old age over my college years) I found myself with a furry friend to smother with spoils.

My fiance and I had been attending rabbit conventions for a few years, and had spoken many time of getting a rabbit. He wanted a dwarf breed, and I wanted and English Lop with the biggest ears I could find. We had not really intended on picking out a rabbit this weekend, but if it happened, it was meant to happen!

Due to various reasons, we only made the last day of convention and only found two English Lops for sale. I had my heart on a male, and both were male! Sadly, upon further inspecting one was in poor health. The other has spots and my fiance was being a premadonna over desiring a solid colored rabbit.

There were two breeds we always considered our compromise breed. The Tan and Thrianta! We found a Thrianta breeder whom we really liked, but they weren't kindling again until the Spring. Then we found a small breeder with just four Tans for sale. Three were male, and one was female. One chocolate, one blue, and two blacks. One little boy, 8 months old, was very calm when it came to being handled. He was originally named Sommer.

Joe cuddled the rabbit in his arms, and it took well to it. He was a beautiful brown and was praised for having the best temperament. I asked Joe if he was ready to commit to this bunny because he was obviously very in love. And so we did!

We picked up a very large cage: 24"x38"x18" which was the largest at the convention (he was going to be spoiled, so we wanted him to have the biggest cage), and picked up a rabbit sling to carry him around.

Through a few scratches (but not bites!) we got him to the local pet shop, supplied him with goodies, and to the grocery store for more treats. We set him up in our computer room (which we bunny proofed the night before just in case we cracked) and let him loose. He's free range in the room for the most part, and once the rest of our place is rabbit proofed, he's going to get free rain. Lucky devil!

He's named General Bismark I, because all our pets will be given military status depending on the order the come into our home, and Bismark for Otto von Bismarck since I have always named my pets after historical figures, or similarly to. Joe wouldn't allow for me to name him General Boas, drats!

He is already doing very well with his litter training. He binkies often which pleases me greatly! He runs around and loves to knock down little obstacles I put up for him. He's eating well, although I worry that he's not interested in any fruits or veggies. There are a few games I have learned he likes to play, which is: Tickle Shaina's feet, and when she laughed, he runs around my chair. Try to sneak up on me, and when I notice he runs away and binkies in a corner. Also, a little game called, "This is obviously a place I have been blocked from going, so I am going to deactivate this trap and get through it at all costs!"

He tolerates petting, but doesn't care for being held. I hope he gets used to us more at some point. But he's very curious and engaging regardless. I'm hoping he gets more of a taste for fruits and veggies because he has a whole garden that's dedicated to him this summer, and I expect him to appreciate my hard work. :wink

He's currently doing obstacles around our computer desk. Who thought this L shaped desk and all it's bars would provide such ample entertainment?

I haven' taken many image of him yet, mostly on my fiance's phone, as he's constantly in motion. I can catch him in a flop now and then.

2011-02-06_23-20-15_705.jpg

That's our new little prince who's going to walk all over us! :biggrin:

congratulations, what a gorgeous bun!

more pix please :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

alsooo i just noticed the cage looks to have a metal grille on the bottom. metal grilles arent really reccomended as they are really painful for the rabbits feet and can cause all sorts of problems (if it's not a metal grille and i'm seeing things just ignore me) if you can cover part or most of it with thick plastic coroplast or thick cardboard or something so he has a place to rest and relax while he's in his cage :)

maxysmummy wrote:

alsooo i just noticed the cage looks to have a metal grille on the bottom. metal grilles arent really reccomended as they are really painful for the rabbits feet and can cause all sorts of problems (if it's not a metal grille and i'm seeing things just ignore me) if you can cover part or most of it with thick plastic coroplast or thick cardboard or something so he has a place to rest and relax while he's in his cage :)
No worries about the bottom of the cage. It annoys me that every blood cage seems to have that grill bottom, even custom cages from rabbit breeders! You'd think people who built and produced rabbit cages would know better by now!

We picked up a clear plastic computer chair mat and slid it in there after cutting it down. I may just clip out the holding brackets to remove the grill all together. But I want to see how easy this mat situation will clean up. It's not a priority at the moment since he's got free range access to our office. He just hops in there for a drink and poop. :p

kuniklos wrote:
maxysmummy wrote:

No worries about the bottom of the cage.  It annoys me that every blood cage seems to have that grill bottom, even custom cages from rabbit breeders!  You'd think people who built and produced rabbit cages would know better by now!

We picked up a clear plastic computer chair mat and slid it in there after cutting it down.  I may just clip out the holding brackets to remove the grill all together.  But I want to see how easy this mat situation will clean up.  It's not a priority at the moment since he's got free range access to our office.  He just hops in there for a drink and poop. :p

it can be frustratingly annoying how so few manufactured rabbit products are up to scratch (or even usable) for rabbit owners

maxysmummy wrote:
kuniklos wrote:
maxysmummy wrote:

No worries about the bottom of the cage. It annoys me that every blood cage seems to have that grill bottom, even custom cages from rabbit breeders! You'd think people who built and produced rabbit cages would know better by now!

We picked up a clear plastic computer chair mat and slid it in there after cutting it down. I may just clip out the holding brackets to remove the grill all together. But I want to see how easy this mat situation will clean up. It's not a priority at the moment since he's got free range access to our office. He just hops in there for a drink and poop. :p

it can be frustratingly annoying how so few manufactured rabbit products are up to scratch (or even usable) for rabbit owner
Indeed! I tried to get a guinea pig cage which was just a smidge smaller than the one I bought because it didn't have the grill. The people told me, "Those are only for cavies," and I said they would be much better for rabbits. And then gave me crap about it. Guess who didn't get a sale? :p

Someday I'd love to make a tile floor and try out some fun mosaic for a rabbit home. Pet arts and crafts! Ahhh!

have you looked into NIC cages? they've been a godsend for us personally much easier to customise. check out the housing section for some ideas :)

maxysmummy wrote:
have you looked into NIC cages? they've been a godsend for us personally much easier to customise. check out the housing section for some ideas :)
I considered something like that! It's on my list of things to get, although I was thinking of it more as a playpen for outside. We're moving to a bigger place in April so this is definitely and option.

The General needs room to command his troops after all!

YAY a tan! Congratulations on your awesome new bunny! i must say I am partial :) As far as the wire bottom Tans do fine on them. I have never had any feet problems in my years of raising them. Tile floors aren't as friendly though. Mine never really like them because they slip when they try to do the tan500 lol.
But welcome to RO and hope you enjoy

woahlookitsme wrote:
YAY a tan! Congratulations on your awesome new bunny! i must say I am partial :) As far as the wire bottom Tans do fine on them. I have never had any feet problems in my years of raising them. Tile floors aren't as friendly though. Mine never really like them because they slip when they try to do the tan500 lol.
But welcome to RO and hope you enjoy
I learned about the tile floor last night! Although it may have been situational! I gave him a smaller brown paper bag to have fun with. He walks into it, gets freaked out in there and takes off like a rocket across the kitchen floor. All I see if this flying and sliding bag that must only be filled with bunny. He busts a hold at the other end after going head first into the fridge.

I stood there in silence until he ran away and did a little binkie. All was fine, and laughter ensued.

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

I use thecages like the onein yourphoto of your handsome bun. There are mats that can be used to provide protection to the rabbits feet. I also use carpet reminents to the bun to sit or lay on.

Lord Wellington would be a suggestion for a future bun. Seems like ages ago, but I majored in 17th to 19th european history.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

Thanks Dave! I have been reading the forums and have really enjoyed them.

The General is getting neutered tomorrow. He'll be getting a little extra parsley and a new box to knock around before our terrible and evil betrayal. :) But he just doesn't understand how expensive his child support will be if we let him meet some fine lady rabbits.

Latest posts

Back