gender identification

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Several rabbits that I initially identified as does, now appear to have testicles. Is there anything that looks like a small balloon that ever hangs down from a doe when she is outsidein the heat, or do I just have a lot more bucks than I thought? (yes, some of the "newly discovered" bucks also now appear to have a penis, but some still look like they have only female parts - except for the small balloons.)

Those does with the hanging down bits deffinately sound like males. I had this happen to me just earlier this week, I spent 7 weeks calling my 'female' bunny Isabella/Bella to suddenly one night notice something odd hanging down in one of the photo's I took, flipped 'her' over and sure enough, not a female anymore.

Even now if I'm on eye level with the floor and I'm watching him run around, you can easily see them hanging down and swinging back and forth as he runs about! :shock: Certainly no mistaking it now.

Thanks. I feel much better. The silly part is that of the 8 New Zealand and Flemish Giants that I had previously sexed as does, only 3 still appear to be does. Not very good odds on my gender identification skills since those are large breeds and each of them was at least 8 weeks old when I got them. :?

My 'girl' is a Flemish Giant mix and he was about the same age when I gothim as well. He's about 14/15 weeks old now and is roughly 8lbs. I'd been told that he was a female when I got him and comparing photo's online of what males and females should look like, he certainly looked female. I never really looked again as he didn't take too kindly to being on his back in the beginning (he 'tolerates' it now, but just barely) so I was quite shocked when I discovered I had a male instead of a female.

** Edited: Just noticed this posted 3 times for some reason, is there anyway to delete the 2 extra posts?

I know mistaken identity can happen, even to experienced breeders. I recently bought a 7 month oldFlemish "doe" that turned out to be a buck - and I only discovered the error when I turned "her" upside down to put her back into the travel cage.... and again, it was on a warm day and little balloons were present. He has such a sweet disposition however, I am not too upset - except that with one ofmy younger Flemish "does" being discovered today to bea buck, I have 3 Flemish bucks and 2 does. Wrong ratio..... particularly with "true" Flemish being hard to find in Oklahoma.

My Palomino, Tony, was sexed by the ARBA judge who sold him to me. His name was originally Heidi and the gender-Fairy came to visit him one night while we slept......

My flemish giant was a female until 10 months old... Thats when the owner noticed "she" was indeed a HE. She placed him on Craigs List in hopes of a trade for a doe but I ended up buying him for either $15 or $20 - I can't quite recall anymore...

Latest posts

Back