Gender and genetics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
Based on observation I made a curious discovery I wanted to share. If I didn't know better I would claim the REW gene is only inherited to female offspring:?
I somehow think it must be a coincidence yet it's strange that my smoke buck who carries REW never produced any male REW carriers. All the male offspring (6 in total) were rather dark so that they more than likely are c[sup]chl[/sup]c[sup]chl[/sup]. The two females were REW.
I am just wondering if in some rabbits certain genes are only passed on to a particular gender. Is it always random or did anyone else made a similar observation?
[sup]
[/sup]

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
The REW gene can be inherited by both males and females.

I am unaware of any sex-linked color characteristics in rabbits.
I am half tempted to keep repeating that particular pairing just to see would the pattern be broken at some stage.
I am aware that REW can be passed on to either sex I was just wondering if in certain individual rabbits there may be such a link.

I think it's just random. I know one exhibitor who has a sooty fawn doe (tort?) that has only ever produced one buck in all her matings to different sires.

Back