Gastric Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyv

Reaction score
Hi All,

We have a Netherland Dwarf that's a little over a year old. We had to take him in to emergency last night because he was sluggish and wasn't eating or drinking. He just wasn't himself.

It turns out to be gastric stasis. I called to check on him this morning and he was doing better (eating a little, but hadn't passed any fecal pellets).

I'm just wondering what could have led to this. He is going through a big shedding stage right now. He has unlimited timothy hay and water and we feed him some veggies on a daily basis (broccoli, parsley, cilantro, etc.). The one thing that he gets that might be "bad" are the Vita Slim Carrot Sticks as a treat, maybe one a day.

I'm just looking for any insight on this condition. Hopefully, Beans will pull through this and we can make sure to try and avoid this in the future.

Thank you

Hi,

Glad he's feeling better.

Stasis is almost always a symptom of something else, in this case, he could have just been feeling bad because he was molting and was ingesting a lot of hair, thus he was drinking less and eating less fiber and that made it worse. Once the hair builds up, he can get gas, and that makes him feel even worse, yet, and he stops eating and drinking altogether.

It also could have been a virus, a food-borne bacteria or any number of other things setting him off in the first place, but seeing as it seems to happen a lot during molts, that's my guess.

During molts I always increase fluids by feeding my rabbits more well-soaked veggies, a wet, high fiber food like canned pumpkin, setting out an extra crock of juice-flavored water, and encourage exercise.

Tummy massages really shouldn't be underestimated, either. Once a gassy rabbit figures out they feel good, they relax and enjoy them.

The Vita Slim carrot sticks aren't great at all. I'd give him a tiny bit of real carrot or fruit.

Lettuce is a nice watery veggie for molt times. My bunnies don't have a problem with broccoli at all, they love it, although too much of it may give bunnies gas. The best thing, though, is just a lot of variety.

Is he getting pellets?

sas :clover:

Individual bunny stomachs can also react uniquely to different food items.

It may be helpful to slowly reintroduce the veggies one by one, so that you can suss out whichever he is reacting to. This may not be the cause of this particular bout - but, it may help you narrow down the cause.

(I feel wretched when I eat broccoli, so it is possible that he might have a vegetable that doesn't like him as much as he likes it :p)

Here is the Lagomorph Library Article:
Bunny Health - GI Stasis: What Everyone Should Know

Hope he feels better soon!

Apologies, I pulled the posts from DixonsRabbitry and MistyJr about vegetables being a probable cause of stasis because there is just way too much evidence to the contrary.

Misty said that her rabbit got bloat from spinach, but this was sheer speculation, and its unrelated to the stasis issue at hand.

To address her issue, if it was the spinach, it could have been a sensitivity, had hidden rotten bits, or it could have been carrying a bacteria like e-coli, but there is not way to tell, and just like with human vegetable consumption, it would have been a rare case.

While DixonsRabbitry is determined to promote an artificial all-pellet diet sanctioned by old school breeders, this board strongly promotes a natural and varied diet that includes mostly vegetation like hay, grass, produce and other plants along with limited pellets.

The board normally allows all opinions and trust that the readers can make the best decision from the information presented, but not when its potentially detrimental, and we have to consider DixonsRabbitry continuous anti-vegetable stance in that category.

Apologies to all, Misty and DixonsRabbitry included. We really try and avoid 'censorship'!

sas :expressionless

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to read the posts that'd been erased but would like to add some of my personal input in this thread.

I have had rabbits for the past 12 years straight. I raised dwarf hotots from 2003-2009. Although I'm no longer going to be having any rabbits after my current rabbit has hopped over the rainbow bridge, my current rabbit is 8 years old.

Back when showbunny was a hit website (I suppose this website is supposed to be like that but am not entirely sure) I gathered loads of information. From my short time of rarely breeding the dwarf hotots, I've met many different rabbit folks to share their input of what to and not to feed them, their issues with whatever, etc. and have incorporated it into my rabbit's regimen.

A friend of mine used to give her rabbits a bunch of fresh veggies including romaine lettuce, carrots, etc. but had stomach issues off and on with her rabbits. A breeder (now out of the breeding hobby) from FL told me that they NEVER gave their rabbits ANY lettuce as it ALL retains too much water for the rabbits to obtain enough vitamins, etc. from it so they entirely ruled lettuce out of their rabbit's veggie list. Personally I feed my 8 y/o rabbit mostly pellets (a good quality pellet feed, not the cheap stuff) and periodic treats off and on including some little bits of carrots, crackers, cut up celery, strawberries (fruit and tops), parsley and junk food (sometimes). At 8 years old, he's happy, hoppy, friendly and lively and has NEVER EVER gotten sick - no stomach bloating, no intestinal blockages, etc.

Every few months I give my rabbit some timothy hay (just a small bag until it's gone and give him about a handful a day). He has a skin reaction to the timothy hay so I cannot give him an open supply constantly as he'll start an itch from it contacting his skin. Eating the hay, however, has absolutely no impact on him.

Maybe the rabbit has an allergy to the ingestion of one of the veggies that was provided to the rabbit on topic?

I'm sorry Pipp, not wanting to start an argument but I definitely had a rabbit who had issues with particular foods. The vet confirmed it as well so I do think it is highly possible that a rabbit can react to things in particular. I can't remember what the items were to be honest though. I agree with Autumn that it can be wise to reintroduce veggies one by one in certain situations to isolate possible problematic foods.

On the other hand, I also strongly agree with Pipp that there are usually other contributing factors to stasis. This would be especially true if your bunny never reacted to these foods in the past and nothing new was introduced. You should strongly consider what Pipp said and use those tips. She's helped me very much with gassy buns in the past. :)

Suze,

Maybe you should get a hay rack? Could you attach it to the exterior of the cage/hutch so little of it falls in? That way your bunner would get a constant supply of hay and avoid contact as well... I think. Maybe someone has a better idea as well.

Thanks to all for the great input. Beans did better yesterday morning at the hospital. When he came home yesterday afternoon, it took a little while for him to warm up, but then he started chowing down some hay, cilantro, and a couple small pieces of pineapple. He still wasn't taking in much water so hopefully he'll get the hydration from the veggies.

He's on some meds and I have to try and give him water from a syringe if he's not drinking. I actually had to trick him a little by putting the tip of the syringe in pineapple to get him interested.

I'll be reading more on here once I get some time in order to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks again!!

Apologies to bobbyv for hijacking the thread, glad the stasis bunny is feeling better.

I'll address the specific comments below, but PLEASE note that when I'm recommending a varied, natural diet of VEGETATION augmented with pellets, this is NOT THE SAME AS A VEGETABLE DIET.

Hay is vegetation and a staple item for rabbits. Grass, herbs, weeds, flowers, various tree leaves, bark, etc, is their natural diet, and produce/vegetables when they can find them. Seeing as much of the above is not easy to provide, store bought herbs and produce are fine as a supplement to the hay and grass that still forms the majority share. (They eat greenery in the summer and dried grass -- hay -- in the winter).

Rabbits really don't seem to eat too much of any one thing when they're in their natural environment. My rabbits 'forage', especially my Flemish Giant who is allowed free run of my yard (supervised of course). They nibble on all sorts of things (as noted in the above list), and really don't eat more of one thing over another when presented with variety.

But of course its all vegetation.

The_Suze wrote:
Back when showbunny was a hit website (I suppose this website is supposed to be like that but am not entirely sure) I gathered loads of information. From my short time of rarely breeding the dwarf hotots, I've met many different rabbit folks to share their input of what to and not to feed them, their issues with whatever, etc. and have incorporated it into my rabbit's regimen.

A friend of mine used to give her rabbits a bunch of fresh veggies including romaine lettuce, carrots, etc. but had stomach issues off and on with her rabbits. A breeder (now out of the breeding hobby) from FL told me that they NEVER gave their rabbits ANY lettuce as it ALL retains too much water for the rabbits to obtain enough vitamins, etc. from it so they entirely ruled lettuce out of their rabbit's veggie list. Personally I feed my 8 y/o rabbit mostly pellets (a good quality pellet feed, not the cheap stuff) and periodic treats off and on including some little bits of carrots, crackers, cut up celery, strawberries (fruit and tops), parsley and junk food (sometimes). At 8 years old, he's happy, hoppy, friendly and lively and has NEVER EVER gotten sick - no stomach bloating, no intestinal blockages, etc.

Every few months I give my rabbit some timothy hay (just a small bag until it's gone and give him about a handful a day). He has a skin reaction to the timothy hay so I cannot give him an open supply constantly as he'll start an itch from it contacting his skin. Eating the hay, however, has absolutely no impact on him.

Showbunny is a great breeder/production site, I've learned a lot from the site and the owner Pamela Alley from the Rabbit Industry Council. We deal with pet and breeder bunnies, people with single rabbits and people with herds. RO has always welcomed breeders, our own Pam Nock, a breeder and ARBA judge, has probably taught me more about rabbits than anybody.

It sounds like your Hotot is getting a varied diet, so that's great. The berry leaves are particularly healthy, I wish I had a good supply.

Researchers (biologists, vets) strongly advices against the carbs, but aside from a low fiber diet causing a slow gut, it could be an odd-case scenario (OD'ing on carbs can cause cecal dysbiosis) or they may be causing unhealthy fat deposits on organs, but I really would like to see more research on this.

Lettuce in small amounts as one of a large variety of diet items (like everything else) is always fine, but in the case of a gut slowdown where the culprit or at least mitigating factor is the moult and a little more hydration is good, then increasing lettuce may help. Lettuce should never be a major part of the diet, though.

Yes, some vegetables can occasionally give some bunnies gas through sensitivities or food-borne bacteria, but they would have more tolerance if breeders were feeding the mothers and kits bits of veggies in the first place.

For every case of a sensitivity, there are probably double the number of dental cases or vitamin deficiency (or overload) issues caused by not giving them the veggies. Unfortunately, all things can't be perfectly balanced for all rabbits all the time, they are individuals.

My Flemish brothers would constantly break into the compost and munch down the grossest stuff without batting an eyelash. Mikey got up on the table the other day and polished off a big bowl of grapes and a banana with no issues at all. Didn't affect his appetite or his poops. But Pipp ate too many oats and almost died, and even moderate amounts of cilantro would give Dill a gas attack. (Note that a gas attack is NOT stasis).

This is my first experience hearing about a hay sensitivity, definitely something for the Library. Is it only timothy? Certain brands? Or all hay?

Nela wrote:
I'm sorry Pipp, not wanting to start an argument but I definitely had a rabbit who had issues with particular foods. The vet confirmed it as well so I do think it is highly possible that a rabbit can react to things in particular.
Oh, absolutely!! My mini-rex Dill used to get terrible gas from cilantro. I get gas from apples, but only certain varieties.

Humans and rabbits can definitely have sensitivities which is why its always recommended starting them off on new foods slowly.

Misty's (and Dixons) posts always warn people not to feed their rabbits vegetables at all, however, and that's a different story.

sas :bunnydance:

Awww okies, my apologies Pipp. I misunderstood what you said in the previous message :) You are very right about variety and not giving too much of something. I think a lot of issues stem from rabbits getting too much of a particular thing so it is nice to mix things once you know your rabbit can tolerate them.

Different varieties of apples? Really? I wouldn't have thought of that...

Ps: I just reread your previous post and now saw the 'sensitivity' part :embarrassed:

Sorry for the lapse of time in my responding to this thread as I had a 4k road trip right after I'd posted. I was looking around this site as I'm a new member and when I did a google search a week ago and accidentally hit "cached" it popped up a lot more responses which are now gone. The responses that are erased(?) seemed informative so I'm not sure how, exactly, this site is run. Is it some sort of "favorites" website where the people on the mod's "good list" have posts that go undeleted or are personal issues getting in the way of informative posts here? Thanks

Hi, please read this for information.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=59889&forum_id=47

The responses that were removed were done so for not complying with the rules.

Quoting from the above link:
# Missing posts and/or threads - Many times you may see a thread go "missing" or it may be "locked" to further posts. If a thread goes missing - it can be for one of several reasons.

* The original poster may have asked us to pull it.
* There may be arguing on the thread and the mods have pulled it to edit certain posts.
* There may be some discussion going on between the mods about whether or not to allow the thread to continue.
* If a thread goes missing - and you really need to/want to find out more - you can contact a moderator of your choice.
o Sometimes a post will go missing while a moderator edits it. Trust me - we will usually replace it after editing it - and we try to always contact the original poster of that post.
o PS - We really try hard to NOT edit people. I'll be including things at the end of this post that we will edit for.

Latest posts

Back