Gas???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margarita

Reaction score
Hello All,

Its been a while since I posted on here but I am curious to see if anyone can help me figure out what happened. My bun Maragraita was completely fine one day then out of nowhere Sunday morning she was hunched an in pain, she would move from one spot to another and sit in the same position and did not eat drink or poop from 9:00am -10:00pm. I spoke with the vet and he said is she is still the same in the morning to bring her in.

Then out of nowhere at 10:00pm she started drinking the peidalyte with water that I left in front of her and eventually started eating and pooping and running around.

This morning she was back to her normal hyper self running around the house. pooping a ton although small (which is expected cause she didnt eat)

Do you think this was gas? or a little block that passed? shes never has done this before so im not sure what happened.

Any thoughts helpful :)

Possibly gas, thankfully you were able to give her the pedialyte and she was fine. This has happend to Ripely before. Do keep in mind this can be triggered by some other underlying cause; something that causes them pain will do it.
It's important to figure out the cause, here are some big ones: insufficient fiber, too many treats, stress, underlying pain/infection, overgrown molars/teeth, abscessed teeth, stress.

Here is a very good article about it: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

It could have been gas caused by a gut slowdown or something she ate. You'll want to try and figure out what the cause might have been. It can sometimes just be a random crumb they eat off the floor, or it could be something in her diet. If you gave her something to eat the night before or that morning, that she isn't used to, that could very well be the cause. If it continues to happen, then it is probably something that she normally gets in her diet, or sometimes other medical conditions like a UTI, bladder sludge, etc, can cause them to stop eating as well. So if it continues and it's not diet related, then you'll want to have the vet check her for other medical problems.

Sounds like a bout with gas. Every now and then one of ours have an off day and all I can think of is "oh crap" will I have to go see the vet? Finn didn't eat his veggies or treats a couple of days ago, and he lives to Eat, but the nest morning he was fine. I think they do it just to confuse us.

Thanks for the replys.

It's def not her teeth she just had a check up. Her diet is only unlimited hay and 1/4 cup of pellets. She gets baked treats but they are just hay cookies basically. I took veg out of her diet because it seemed to upset her tummy. I am thinking it might have been gas because out of nowhere she started drinking and was back to normal. Or I saw she chewed her blanket so I think she might have had a little block. I threw away the blanket.

Thanks again everyone I appreciate the feed back.

Latest posts

Back