Gas Medication Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eve

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My bun Layla looks like she has gas. Her tummy is gurgling loudly, sheisn't eating and her ears are cold. I have been trying to massage hertummy but she wants to be alone and won't let me touch her.

I have been looking for medications with Simethicone around the housebut do not have any baby gas meds. It is 3am so I can't go to thepharmacy till the morning.

I have found some Mylanta double strengh antacid, which contains 60mgSimethicone, 800g Aluminium hydroxide and 800gMagnesiumhydroxide. If anybody is online at the moment could you please tell meif this is safe to give her? It says it can be used for the relief ofwind pain but I am not sure if I should give it to her because of theother ingredients.

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated. :(

Edit: If this is safe to give to her, should I give half the dosage because it is double strength?

Hi Naturestee, thank you for your reply. :)

It's 3:40am so everything is closed right now, but I will get some as soon as the shops open in a few hours.

I am so stupid for not having some baby gas meds on hand.

Hi Eve!

sorry to hear about Layla,but isn't it always the way,they get sick when everything is closed.

I was up with my bunny Josie all night Wednesday,she was just sittingthere looking sad,she wouldn't eat her food or nothing,lucky i hadinfacol(baby gas meds) on hand

Poor little things,they look so sad:(

How is she today? I hope she is feeling much better :)

cheryl

Hi Cheryl!

Yes they do always seem to get sick when everything is closed. It'staught me to finish stocking my emergency bunny box though, the babygas meds was one of the only things I still hadn't added to it.

How is Josie doing? Did the infacolmake her feel better?

Layla is much better today. I was trying to massage her tummy allnight, and then I went to the shops to get baby gas meds at 7am whenthey opened. They seemed to work fairly quickly on her. She is eatingher veggies and binkying today, so I think all is well now. :)

Thank you to everyone who replied, I appreciate your support. :kiss:

Hi Eve!

I'm glad Layla is much better,there is nothing like a happy bunny :)

Josie is fine now,i was a bit worried in case i gave her to much orsomething,but i don't think i was giving her enough though,because ihad to give her about 3 lots,and after that third lot,she started toperk up a bit and actually got up and walked a bit,yeah i did a lot ofmassaging as well,anything to make her feel better again :)

cheryl

There's a whole section on Simethicone in theBunny 101 section of the Resource Center, it lists Mylanta as includingSimethicone, although that you already knew!

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15551&forum_id=10

I've always been a bit concerned about the other ingredients, but whenI researched Simethicone to do up that page, nobody else seemed tooconcerned, there were no warnings about any of the products, althoughthe recommended ones were specific gas medications. Ihonestly don't think the additional anti-acid ingredients are harmful,but I'd really like to get the time to do more research intothis.

I know thatthe only diff between baby and adult gas meds isthe dose. Actually, the only thing I ran across fairly oftenwas that larger rabbits should be given the stuff for adults.

I also see that the dosage information has disappeared from the page(something that happens often, there's a formatting glitch that keepsrearing its ugly head), and I remember it listedsamplemeasurements of Simethicone in various products and how to adjust thedose. However, because it's not a dangerous drug, the dosagereally isn't very crucial. Too much in one dose isn'tharmful, although too many doses is. It shouldn't be givenmore than two or three times in a 24 hour period.

I'll do what I can to add to that page, so next time we will know forsure! Glad bunny'sfeeling better. :)

sas

Hi Sas!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post! :)

I read the section on simethicone in the Bunny 100 section, it was veryuseful. I noticed it listed Mylanta, but seeing as there are a fewdifferent types of Mylanta and the one I had was adultsdoublestrength, I wasn't sure if it was safe to use as Layla is a tiny bun.

I have the baby gas meds now, so it's not a problem. Layla wouldn't eatthem from the syringe, soI hollowed out a grape and injectedit with the meds. She gobbled it down in a second.

Thank you for your advice and the information you posted aboutsimethicone, I really appreciate your help. The pages you have made inthe Bunny 100 section always save me in emergencys. I am sureeveryone on the forum is just as grateful for the time you put intoresearching and making them.

Thank you Sas! :kiss:

Latest posts

Back