Gas attack or stasis?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No! Not my Harley boy!

For Harley I would always be careful when it comes to syringing him stuff he doesn't know because he DOES have a very sensitive tummy (plus I have yet to find pumpkin or banana babay food, although they do have pureed pear which should be useful).

I would also look to getting some Metacam for situations like this because that was what perked him up before. I know the Metacam I gave you is out of date (and I also know you won't see this until you get back-but for if it occurs again) and its ALWAYS worth having on hand.

Have you tried plucking Floppy? she's not long haired, just has a different hair type. It may be worth plucking as much fur from her as you can, if she allows it.

Personally I would wonder if he has eaten something dodgy though, altough dental also springs to mind.

I'm out this morning but if you need anything at all send me a text and I'll sort it out.

Please, please let us know how he goes.

Harley boy is a former foster of mine :) Lovely little chappie he is too.

He just got back from the vet and he had two pain relieving injections. The vet didn't seem that worried about stasis but said he had a very gassy tummy.If he is not any better by tomorrow we have to go back and think about different options.

Floppy sometimes tolerates plucking but not normally.We will try though. The vet also checked his teeth and said that there wasn't anything that looked weird.

Thanks Tracy :)

I wonder if one was a pain killer (Metacam) and one was a gut motility drug (Metachlopromide). What vet did you see?

I would keep going with the water intake.

Give them a bowl of plain water and then an additional bowl too that has water flavoured with.... and then test out to see what he likes (you might find pear juice works well, or apple juice. Or actually cutting pear into pieces and allowing it to stand in the water so the water takes the pear flavour, or trying anything else like that that you know he likes).

If you need anything getting let me know. Am happy to pop round and see him and you guys later if you want some moral support at all.

Is he still pooing? If not, you might want to try putting him surrounded by Minstrel smelling stuff because that may make him want to mark his territory which can get the gut going again (id that doesn't work I can try bringing round my manliest smelling toy and trying him with that-he may know Minstrel is not a threat). Lots of exercise if you can. Also try fresh grass, seems to be a good one for stasis issues, and also dandelion leaves.

I also just want to say, don't panic. Stasis is ALWAYS a secondary issue to something. Gizmo's primary cause was a spay done by a shocking vet who had no idea about after care, her stasis was due to that. Harley obviously has not got that primary issue, his is that he probably ate something dodgy, which is far easier to sort.

My phone is on and with me (I'm going out about half ten, have the psych at 11.30-so will be unreachable whilst driving and whilst wiht him, and hope to be back by 1) so if you need me/anything, I'm about. Sort of :p

Yeah it was Metacam and vetergesic?? He's not pooing or peeing. We did put Minstrels stuff around him last night and he didn't even seem bothered that it was Minstrels. He is still inside but he is not moving much at all, even when pushed! Ever since he came home his tummy has been gurgling and making weird loud noises. Hopefully it's a good sign. :pray:
thanks again for all your help :thanks:

The car ride can help with the gass bubbles. How much Infacol have you given him, and how often?

Do you have an electric toothbrush you could use on his tummy? They can work as well as a massage once the bun realises it feels good.

Hopefully when the Metacam kicks in it will perk him up. Yeh, I think that is a gut stimulant, the vetergesic.

Just remember to stay calm yourselves too. How is Floppy doing? She poddling about with him ok? Acting as normal or is she fussing him? He sounds like he is feeling very sorry for himself, but he is in the right place with the right people :) And I know that you'll be doing everything you can for him.

He hasn't had infacol since he had the critical care which was about 7:00am. The metacam has worked- he has eaten a whole carrot top! :biggrin2: Floppy is ok just a bit mad because she can smell all the food we are trying to feed Harley. She didn't go to the vets with him- so has only been with him for about half an hour but she seemed to perk him up as well. We will try the toothbrush in a bit.

That's great! I would suggest soaking his foods in water and not shaking the water too very well to try and get as much hydration in as possible (and as you know, stick to his very safe foods).

Hopefully being with Floppy will help, because when you separate them that can sometimes have a negative impact (although I completely understand why you did and I would with some of mine too, depending on the buns involved).

I'm really chuffed :)

I'll be heading your way at some point this arvo (playing taxi service to my brother and dropping him into town) if you want some company or a visit or Harley is manipulating for more attention :)P) I'm happy to come round, just let me know.

How is he doing?

woohoo! Our late-night people got this under control (and of course your vet too). You may want to determine what caused the gas. Did he have anything very sugary or starchy? Any wet grass?

In the future, like many have said, water is the most important thing. I wouldn't syringe food until 12 hours without eating/pooping. It can really stress them out, and something like Critical Care can actually be dehydrating--you have to prepare it with way more water than it says to. In the future, it's good to have these things on hand: canned pumpkin (I buy a can and freeze it in ice cube trays to have manageable amounts), simethicone (already got that, I see), dioralyte (UK pedialyte), a probiotic (Bio-Lapis I think is the UK one), Nutri-Cal. Know where you can get a fresh pineapple in the middle of the night. Rice sock, car rides, massager/toothbrush for the belly. These are some of the things I keep around in case of gut slowdown or gas.

I do think giving him some probiotic daily until he gets back to normal would be very good.

Sorry Tracy we weren't ignoring you yesterday! He is doing great now, he ate all his pellets with Floppy this morning and licked Hannah. Last night when he was in the garden he was running about like mad. That got his gut working and after he had lots of small weird shaped poos! On Sunday, in the sfternoon he had some apple so we think that was what caused it. He has probiotic daily in his water anyway- because of his sensitive stomach.
Thank you everyone for your help! :thanks:
Oh and Tracy he would always love to see you! :p

I'm so glad :D Yeh, apple definitely could have done it. It might be worth taking him back to a very basic diet of minimal pellets and hay (lucky Floppy :p) for a while, and seeing how he does, then gradually reintroducing things as if they are completely new. Maybe only just introduce pear (because we know he can tolerate that well) and just stick with that as a treat and pellets and hay as his diet.

I'm so glad :D Made my day!

Harley's near enough back to normal now, just funny looking poo's still.
He just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped him and sends you all big licks! :p

Ok, so Harley is having another episode... :foreheadsmack: We are just going to carry on how we did before and hope he pulls through on his own without vet help. He has had infacol so hopefully that will start working soon...

You're doing all the right things. He could probably do with some painkillers. Did you get any?

I'm about if you need me.

x

RIGHT. Harley went up the garden and was laying about. Hannah got in and kept moving him about. We came in to have some food and when we went back in the garden, he was running about munching grass as if nothing was wrong!!! Little bugger.
He has just been eating pellets and hay, no treats. maybe it was his last bit of wind to get rid of but we will still keep a close eye on him.

Back