Garden bed for bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone_family3

Reaction score
I have an outside pen for Belldandy. It's going to be redone and I was thinking of making the bottom a 12 inch garden bed.

I was thinking of making the bed 12 inch garden bed, the bottom will be chicken wire, it will sit straight on the ground and be filled in with dirt. There will be four pillars for the chicken wire walls and chicken wire top. Her dog house will be moved into the corner in order to provide her with shelter.

In the spring I'll plant some veggies and herbs for her, once it starts growing in good. I'll move her from her tractor pen to the garden pen. I thought she would like the nibbling and digging.

Good idea or no?

PS. I'm considering getting her a companion so there will be two buns in the pen.

I think that's a great idea! My only concern would be that she would eat the plants or dig them up to the point of no plants. LOL! And, what about if it rains? If it all turns to mud, then what do you do?

Well she won't be put into it until it's well over grown, I'll probably use a canvas tarp over the top like i do now. Just pull it over before it rains.

I'm not sure I understand the construction (Pillars of chicken wire?), but the general idea is great, and I am sure she will love it.

You will need to wait until the plants are large enough so she cannot decimate them within a few days. In the meantime, you can harvest some of the vegetables for yourself. We have a large vegetable garden, and in early fall, when we are pretty much done eating from it ourselves, we open it to our 2 rabbits and flock of chickens. They all enjoy the herbs, chard, collards, kale, etc., until the snow flies, when they stay in their houses most of the time. In spring, before we are ready to work the soil, we let them all loose in it again, to scavenge whatever can, and help fertilize it with their droppings, for the new season's crops.

Don't waste her litter/droppings, as you can use it to fertilize the garden.

Latest posts

Back