Gabriel's neuter canceled

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know how old Gabriel is but I'm sure that he is over 6 months.

Since he has gained his strength and gone from 2 lbs in June to 4.4 lbs today he has had multiply blood tests and fecal exams to exclude any problems.

For awhile we thought he could have a parsite like coccidia because his eosinophils were elevated and his poops are abnormally large and misshapen.
All his blood work is negative and he is the picture of health. He is now very energetic , jumps the x-pen and really would like to spend some time with my new guest EmmaLee.

He's turning into a really little stud bunny.

Anyway when I took him this AM to be neutered his testicles either have not fully develloped, have not dropped ( or he was neutered). I basically know that he wasn't neutered because when I first got him in June there was nothing indicating that he was a male and I thought he was a girl.

I have to bring him back in a month or 2 to see if his testicles have dropped.

I am sort of concerned because I just don't know why they haven't. Would early malnourisment cause delayed devellopment or could he have some other problem.
Ill try to get a new pic of him as he is really growing into a handsome muscular guy.

He has changed from a little feeble bunny that you could carry around into a big guy that won't be held at all.

angieluv, if Gabriel is a cryptorchid boy, make sure you go with a vet who's experienced in cryptorchid surgeries. Their testicles do not descend.
I lost a lovable grooming (kisser) dutch boy, and the vet gave me the impression he was very savvy with cryptorchid neuters. The vet didn't believe in administering pain meds and went into his abdomen to find the testicles. I'm saying prayers Gabriel will be alright.

Would love to see some new photos,

Regarding Bunnies that resist holding, I still "hug 'em" and hold 'em. Hold them in a chair and rock w/them, talking to them. Kareena came like that, so frightened from her past. Now we can trance her and hold her. the bunny whisperer, TF
Hoping Lucky Gabe will change his mind on human affection and snuggles.
Love to emmaLee and the crew,

The vet did mention crytorchid animals (misspelling?) because I kept questioning himbut said that he did not ever see it in a rabbit. I think that I could tell that he is not experienced in that surgery on rabbits.
I wouldn't have this vet do the surgery if he has this condition.

I went to the vet that does the shelter rabbits ONLY because we have never had even 1 problem with any rabbit in the last several years since this program started. The clinic of all 4 vets do rabbit surgeries but this vet is supposedly the most knowledgeable.
I don't trust this clinic with medical problems but only with spay/neuter surgeries because they doso many with rabbits of all ages

gabriel has been to 2 other vets for bloodwork and exams
I thought that Gabriel was so rambunctious because of hormones and that I would wait until after his neuter to try to hold him etc.
he loves me and likes to be petted but not held.

I hope that he is not crytorchid becauseI will have problems finding a vet.

Just a thought, but if he is cryptorchid maybe one of us Wisconsin peeps could take him for a bit and have a good vet do the surgery then return him to you after he recovers. I don't know if my vet has done this but I'd be up for stealing Gabriel temporarily.:D

100_0307.jpg

His feet were stained really really dark yellow from urine when I first brought him home and it has not totally worn off yet...in the pic it has a greenish tinge

it looks greenish on my computer but it really is yellowish..it was really dark when I brought him home and so was his little belly and front feet.. he must have been laying in urine before he was tossed out or escaped.

Bo was 5 mos old and did the tuck and run (or hop) when I tried to see his manliness. I knew he was maturing from his actions. He started to spray, he hopped around my feet, and chinned the living daylight out of me! So, I felt for them when he was relaxed and I felt the nub of one. The vet could feel them too by then and did the surgery. They can be sneaky little guys and some don't have their testicles descend by 6 mos but your photo seems to argue with the point LOL!

Hi Cara
Thanks for the info..I am going to wait and see what happens in the next few months

I had to spend $750.00 on my cat, William in the last 2 days because of an infection in his sinuses and to get this teeth cleaned.

I really really didn't expect these extra expenses now but this came up. I haven't even payed for Beau yet.
The petco grant will pay for Gabriel's neuter, however, I don't know if they will pay for a cryptorchid neuter( I have to pause everytime I try to spell that word:D)
Gabriel's behavior is that of a rabbit who needs a neuter so lets hope they come down soon.

Ah, Erik was a monarchid. Meaning one of his testicles were dropped, but the other wasn't. Dad had to cut up into his belly to get it, (that's the only way to really get 'em, or they can attempt to cut into the scrotum and pull it out that way, but most will cut into the belly) but Erik came out of the surgery well. He was on pain meds for about two days after the surgery (he was given an 12-hour anaglesia right after the surgery, to get him through the worst part.)

Personally, I'd just wait a few months! Cryptorchid neutering is a lot harder to do on a rabbit that isn't fully developed. I would just make sure to have him checked and make sure that the veterinarian is confident in doing the surgery. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone to do it- most vets have done a cryptorchid surgery a couple of times in their lives. (It's quite common in cats.)

Back