Gaaa Bunny Bite!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinirabbit

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Rabbiteers,

My rabbit Darwin has bitten me most extremely hard, and I don’t know why. I am not sure if there are infections that come along with very hard and deep, bleeding nips.

I have put some Bactine on (like first-aide antibacterial spray) and some triple antibiotic ointment on. It really hurts!!

In terms of the bunny, he is locked up in his cage with a firm, “BAD BUNNY!”

If you have suggestions to the behaviour issues or cut, reply!

Putting antibiotics on the bite probably isn't a bad idea. As far as stopping Darwin's biting, try a loud, high pitched shriek when he bites. Also, neutering Darwin when he is of age would be a great help.

Ouch! It sounds like you've cleaned the wound up pretty well, so it should be okay.

Can you replay the events that led to the bite for us? Maybe we can figure out what set him off. Also how old is Darwin and is he neutered?

naturestee wrote:
Ouch! It sounds like you've cleaned the wound up pretty well, so it should be okay.

Can you replay the events that led to the bite for us? Maybe we can figure out what set him off. Also how old is Darwin and is he neutered?

OK:

I was cleaning, and I realized I lost an earring. I looked underneath my bed, (I had looked everywhere else) and reached under. There was a loud growl, and he bit me very hard. I think he considers under the bed his territory, since he previously had chinned anything under my bed (old cartons of baby toys, etc) He is getting neutered on July 11, and I think that will help...:?

Yes, it does sound like he bit because he was protecting his territory. Did you see him before he bit you? He may have been surprised by your hand, which may have made him react more than normal.

Neutering will help a lot. Till then, you'll probably have to be more careful about fast hand movements in his territory. I had similar problems with all three of my girls, although they didn't bite. They did growl, lunge, and slap my hand with their paws. For them, it was about their cage.

It sounds like a combination of being territorial and being surprised. Amber used to growl whenever we went in her cage before she was spayed. Now she only growls if she is surprised, and even then she calms down as soon as she realizes who it is. If I make sure she can see my hand before I go in, she is fine.

As you know rabbits have rather long teeth so, watch the bite close and go to the Dr if it gets any worse. I don't know what kind of bacteria a rabbit has, but I was almost put in the hospital overnight with a severe cat bite. No telling what bunny was doing when you "snuck" up on him. If it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't worry. They startle easily.

you may have just scared him.

but if not getting him altered sould fix his biteing problem. i have a very very sweet bunny who bite me once because i scared her. and thats the only time.

Latest posts

Back