Fuzzies, Checkereds and More... Oh My!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here's Gobo!

"What's over there? Can I play in the grass again?"

Fuzzybabies181.jpg

"Hi! I'm Gobo!"
Fuzzybabies179.jpg

"Hang on a sec, I have something on my face."
Fuzzybabies174.jpg

"There! How's that?"
Fuzzybabies173.jpg

Oh my goodness - I'm on cuteness overload here.

How do you get anything done with those fuzzies around? I'd be wanting to cuddle them all day long...

Peg

:inlove:

Those Checkered Giant kits are the cutest thing I have ever seen! Mynew all time favourite rabbit breed is now a Checkered Giant. :D

Rachel.

I love your photos! The checkereds are sostunning. How is their personality? Ive heard before that they tend tobe aggressive, but Ive never met one. And I hate to generalize becauseI know all bunnies can be different..

And Im so in love with your fuzzy lops! They always look so pouty in pics!

To those of you who were asking about the Checkereds, here are some pictures!

These first three are of Uno. He is now mine. He is from the litter Iwas taking care of, the mom died from a upper respiratory infection andI hand fed this litter from 12 days old on. The rest of the litter hasgone back to live with the breeder. But Uno was my special little guyand I just had to keep him! :hearts

He is wearing his harness and leash in these pictures. Yes, I know he'sa boy and it's pink- but it's my cats harness and it fits,lol!:D He is a really good boy in theharness and took to it with no problems.

Fuzzybabies208.jpg

Fuzzybabies209.jpg

Fuzzybabies210.jpg

Haley said:

I love your photos! The checkereds are so stunning. How is theirpersonality? Ive heard before that they tend to be aggressive, but Ivenever met one. And I hate to generalize because I know all bunnies canbe different..

The Checkereds have an interesting personality. Even though they areone of the Giant breeds, they are not in any way laid back and calmlike Flemish' or some of the other large breeds. They are nosy,opinionated and boisterous. They are very confident rabbits, and don'tscare easy. They aren't a rabbit to snuggle or sit still at all really.Most of them aren't outright aggressive, but their activitylevel and personality combined with their size makes them abit of a challenge to handle.

I also have a Checkered doe named Chowder at my house. She is the momof the second litter of Checkered's I raised. I handled Uno from birthand was very careful to get him used to me and the way I handle myrabbits- but my friend bought Chowder full grown- so she didn't getthat early handling. She isn't mean, and as long as she is on the flooror on the show table, she's pretty nice. But, pick her up and it's abattle. She's so large that you can't do the football hold, and herback legs are super strong. Uno will let me carry him and he will staycalm in my arms for a few minutes. But, if I try to hold him for longerthan it takes to get from point A to B, he gets antsy and starts tostruggle. But other than that, he is a lovey mush of a rabbit. Veryaffectionate and curious.

I am really becoming enamoured with this breed- but it does have it'sunique challenges. Their size makes a scratch or a nip from them moreserious than from a smaller breed. But they are so much fun to watchmove and show!

Oh, I forgot to put up Chowder's picture This is her in the bunny play pen. She's a big girl, around 15 pounds.
checkeredbabies058.jpg

Uno is so handsome! How big is he?

That sounds sort of similar to what Ive heard about Checkereds, notthat their mean, but more assertive than a lot of the larger breeds.They sure are gorgeous though!

Uno is probably around nine pounds now. He is about the size of my smallish cat right now, and growing every day!

My goodness! How big is he going to grow to be?:shock: I look at my cat sprawled all over my lap and picture her withbunny ears and just go awwwwww! Hehe, how’s the temperament of yourCheckered doe? Is she just as active and nosy or is that the teenbehavior kicking in for Uno?

They’re all amazing:thumbup

-Daniela

clarzoo wrote:
Uno is probably around ninepounds now. He is about the size of my smallish cat right now, andgrowing every day!

I love your fuzzies on this page, our mama isabout to have babies (2 weeks~from April 21) mama is a tort, and daddyis a broken tort~we can't wait!! Our mini rex is due at thesame time but the fuzzies are much more adorable than the mini rex's asbabies!! Okay at least I think that my daughters don't.

www.mnmbunnies.com

:apollo:

Brenda

Naturestee- Wow! That's weird forCheckered's to end up in a shelter, they are hard enough to come by forbreeders wanting some. I'm in Florida, and Uno's mom, Dad and Chowdercame all the way from Iowa via the ARBA convention in Texas lastOctober.

Tksama- I am hoping Uno reaches around 15-18 pounds. That willbe more than double what my cat weighs, lol!! And I've never met aCheckered that likes to cuddle, lol!

Actually, Uno is the more laid back one,but I worked with him a lot since birth. If you look at a few repliesback on the page, you can see a response I wrote to Haley about theirtemperament. They are just so big, that when they don't want to beheld- there's not much you can do about it.

Bren- Congrats on your upcoming fuzzy litter!! They are just toocute as babies, definitely my favorites at that age. :D Istarted out with fuzzies, so I think they will always be my all timefavorites, but there are a lot of other wonderful breeds,too.

Back