Future Breeding Setup

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milly_Molly2

Reaction score
Hiya

In the future, I would love to breed Smoke Pearls. I've been thinking about the setup and I wonder what you all think about it.

Maternity Shed
4 hutches, all each 8ft long, 3ft deep and 2ft high. (space for 2 litters at any one time)
Total hutch space = 16ft long, 3ft deep and 4ft high.
Top hutch is birthing hutch for doe and kits.
Once weaned, males are separated into the top hutch and females are separated into the bottom hutch. Doe is taken back to her original hutch.
Exercise run = 8ft x 8ft, wire mesh with lid, next to the shed (not necessarily attached), hutch inside for shelter (5ft x 2ft x 2ft). On concrete or slabs, hosed down at the end of each day and hutch is swept out and replace bedding at each of each day (newspaper and thick layer of hay).

Buck Shed
9 hutches, all each 5ft long, 3ft deep and 2ft high.
Total hutch space = 15ft long, 3ft deep and 6ft high.
Single bucks in each hutch (total of 9 bucks).

Doe Shed
9 hutches, all each 5ft long, 3ft deep and 2ft high.
Total hutch space = 15ft long, 3ft deep and 6ft high.
Single does in each hutch (total of 9 does)

Exercise Runs (for does and bucks)
All 5ft x 5ft runs OR 6ft x 4ft runs (totalling 24sqft - 25sqft), unattached to sheds, wire mesh with lids, all contain 3ft-4ft hutch inside for shelter.
DOES – 3 runs; first 3 out at 6am, second 3 out at 10am, third 3 out at 2pm, in by 6pm.
BUCKS - 3 runs; first 3 out at 6am, second 3 out at 10am, third 3 out at 2pm, in by 6pm.
Clean hutches whilst rabbits are out for exercise.
First 3 get cleaned at 6-7pm.
Second 3 get cleaned at lunchtime (12pm).
Third 3 get cleaned at 5-6pm.
Runs on slabs or concrete, get hosed down and faeces swept up at end of each day. Hutches inside runs swept out and replace bedding (newspaper and thin layer of hay) at end of each day. Litter trays replaced. Hay balls or hay racks replaced when emptied throughout the day.

Should I include more doe hutches than buck hutches? Should I have another shed with hutches for any youngsters that are unsold or that I keep? How realistic is it to run this type of set up?

Smoke Pearl is a native breed of Scotland and it is a rare breed. They are gorgeous rabbits with amazing temperaments and I want to help save the breed.

Thanks CiaraPatricia, I like my animals to live in the life of luxury even though they are breeding animals, they will still be my pets.

Wow, Those are very beautiful rabbits! Best of luck with them. I wish I could help save this breed too! :biggrin:

Thanks. I think I'll add another shed for any youngsters I run on or any rabbits that are brought back to me if their owners can't keep them, and for any pet rabbits that I own before I start up the breeding programme.

I love your setup except for one thing....why have nine bucks? Even one or two would do...

I understand if you want so many bucks because of saving the breed - but you really only need one or two herd bucks.

I say this because that was my big mistake as a first time breeder - having too many herd bucks.

So pretty.

TinysMom wrote:
I love your setup except for one thing....why have nine bucks? Even one or two would do...

I understand if you want so many bucks because of saving the breed - but you really only need one or two herd bucks.

I say this because that was my big mistake as a first time breeder - having too many herd bucks.
basically there is space for 9 bucks. most of the hutches will probably either be used for running on youngsters or for storage. :)

Milly_Molly2 wrote:
Smoke Pearl is a native breed of Scotland and it is a rare breed. They are gorgeous rabbits with amazing temperaments and I want to help save the breed.

Thanks CiaraPatricia, I like my animals to live in the life of luxury even though they are breeding animals, they will still be my pets.
The Smoke Pearls are beautiful! That sounds so amazing saving the breed. :)

I like to treat my bunnies as pets too :)

Sabine wrote:
Are you going to build everything yourself or have it made?
hopefully get it made, maybe build the runs myself. I'll see how much it costs to have someone else makethe hutchesand see if there's a possibility I could build the hutches instead. The sheds will be bought to fit the amount of hutches I want and then we'll go from there.

That sounds like a really great setup, but I'm curious as to why you want to put the bunnies' exercise yards on concrete? Grass would be a lot better - and they could nibble and explore while exercising. It'd also be a lot softer on their feet, which I'm sure they would like.

Emily

Latest posts

Back