Furminator?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
I have a lionhead that hates to be groomed. I have one of those small cat wire brushes and it works well but i have to go over and over multiple times to remove all the hair. When I watch videos of the furminator it seems to remove so much hair in one pass and I figure grooming would be much better and quicker if that were the case. However I read one reviewer say that it's a little rough on their rabbit. It's expensive, about $33 and if it works amazing than I think it's worth it. Any opinions please :)

ff557127db1d2f78e352e9450c683564.jpg

A picture so you can see what her fur/wool is like :)

Or should I get a comb like this?
7a3f3bf71ea945fd8f80732641b07bf8.png

My goal is to get a brush/comb that removes the most fur in the shortest time

I use a shedding blade on my lionhead cross. Furminators are grossly overpriced and I haven't heard much good about the job they do. You use a shedding blade both with and against the grain of the hair. Here's an example of one, but they're easy to find at pet stores: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ARR22/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Some people also make them. They use a hacksaw blade bent into a loop and duct taped to a handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
My furminator works really well on my jersey woolies and my netherland dwarfs. But does not work at all on my cashmere lop.

The furminator doesn't work on a cashmere lops coat because they seem to mat and the coat doesn't let go- so if you use a furminator it pulls too much and hurts the rabbit, leaves bald spots.

But Furmanator does work really well on my Jersey Woolies and pulls out the loose undercoat fluff- I feel like I would be lost without it infact. But the Jersey Woolies coat brushes out much easier than the cashmere lop.

So for Jersey Woolies the Furminator is worth it weight in gold but its not at all good for a cashmere lop.

yes! i need something for Andy! i don't know if its shedding, but Andy (for a couple of months now) has little tufts of fur that i can just pull out...? all the brushes I've seen/tried don't work, or their expensive...

So I have recently bought the furminator because it was on sale for a price I couldn't beat at my local pet smart. I have read reviews that you can over groom your pet causing bald spots. Since using it, I actually do love it but it makes me a little nervous so I use it with caution. What makes me nervous about this and I can't get a clear answer is whether or not the comb pulls out/cuts out good hair that isn't loose. The amount of hair I get when using this is unbelievable and if I keep combing I keep getting hair which makes me believe it's cutting out good fur. That's why I use this with caution.

Latest posts

Back