"Furminator" brush

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley N. Hopps

Reaction score
Has anyone else used the "Furminator" brush on their rabbit? Barley just finished up one horrendous moult and I bought a small brush of this brand at the pet shop when they had a display up with a video showing how much undercoat this thing can pull up. Barley didn't want to be brushed at all at the moment because I'd been brushing him sometimes twice a day and he was fed up, but I had to clip his nails anyway, so while I had him "trapped" on the bathroom counter, I used the brush to clean up his hindquarters somewhat of the annoying tufts. It worked really well! It doesn't reach down to the skin as the teeth are very short, and it gently pulled out mounds of loose undercoat. I stopped when he got antsy so as not to hurt or annoy him too much, but boy, next moult, I'm armed and ready! :pinkbouce:

Thanks for that link, Watermelons! I was wondering how this brush would be with a rabbit's tender skin. Next molt, I'll be extremely careful with it (as I was this past time) and only use it once or twice a week, and use his regular brush the rest of the time. Barley is a short-haired rabbit and I used the Furminator very lightly, slowly, briefly and carefully with no ill effects, but I will take this caution seriously! Despite my grooming efforts, he seems to ingest a great amount of loose hair and loses his appetite when shedding, so I have to watch him very carefully as we had one round of GI Stasis last year and I'd rather prevent another!

My two go-to brushes are my furminator and my zoom groom. Unfortunately with both of them once I get the hair off the bunny it seems to get all over me and the area I'm brushing them in so we usually do our grooming sessions in the backyard. Word of warning though: keep the zoom groom out of bunny's reach; turns out it's just as irresistible as remote control buttons.

Haha! Thanks for that, Missyscove! It took us 3 tv remotes before we learned to keep it out of B's reach! His regular brush has a rubber handle and he's bitten that too when I carelessly left it on the floor. There are also bites taken out of my Kiks rubber shoes, and gnaw marks on a little wooden cabinet. I covered all my baseboards with particle board so they're safe!

Back