Furless Spot on Vega's Nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so it seems the fuzz that i thought was growing in has stopped. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take for her to have all her fur grown back in?

I'm still wondering what happened to all the fur that she's missing. It wasn't in their cage, hopefully my little Winston:hearts didn't swallow all of it.

Susan:apollo:

I have a Dopey (Dopey 2)who is constantly over groomed by Dopey 1. It generally takes a while to grow back, sometimes as long as a month after the initial problem was sorted (i.e. after we had to split them up because Dopey 1 was making it worse, once we separated them, it took about a month or so). We tend to separate ours temporarily because Dopey 2 ends up with huge sore bald patches (when originally it started with a tiny scratch, or on an injection site) and they are very easy to bond back together. We do supervised play, swapping cages, etc.

I found sudacreme moisturises the skin and speeds up the growing of the fuzz. Do you have that over there?

I really still think its molt/overgrooming. Lucy's cheek was like that for over a month or so.

Winston hasnt shown any signs of hair loss has he? With them being so close Im sure if it were mites or something he would be showing signs as well.

We're still in the molting season so I wouldnt panic. Watch Winston and if you see him licking it tell him NO :)

I Flashy, thanks for the reply. I've never heard of it. Is it from the pharmacy or just a cream himans use?

We've run out of room and cages to separate the two of them. We try to watch to make sure Winston isn't licking her all the time but that's impossible too. She's a little buggar too she puts her head right under Winston's head for kisses.

Susan:)

Sudacreme is a nappy rash cream over here for human babies. I'll try to find a link so you can see if you can find something similar.

Two tics.

Desitin is a baby cream hereIve used for sore hocks.

EDIT: I meant to say A&D, although I believe Desitin is basically the same.

diaperRash_sm.jpg

Hey Flashy, that cream doesn't look familiar to me. I may just take you up on your offer.

Here are 2 picturess I just took. She didn't have that many of those red marks this morning. I checked Winston this morning when I was actually lucky enough to catch him, he has no bald spots.

DSC03365.jpg

DSC03364.jpg

Susan:?

Ouch that does not look good. Maybe you should ask your vet about treating for mites just in case. I believe Revolution will do the trick- and its just one dose applied to the neck area.

That looks SO similar to what the Dopeys did to each other, right down to the red patches. My best advice is to separate them, now in some way, if at all possible, because now there are sore bits Winston is more likely to groom them even more and make it even more sore, and bigger.

Could you make a temp pen or something, it doesn't need to be huge, just enough so they both have enough space either side of a divide? You can give them supervised play, etc. (Incidently, Aina seems to be struggling with a similar problem, her post in the Behaviour and Nutrition, if you're interested).

Something you might want to think about is that rabbit's are more aware of injuries and problems before us humans, so it might be that Winston is sensing a problem underneath the skin somewhere (such as maybe tooth problems? Infection or something?) and he is doing what rabbits do to try and make it better, so it might be worth keeping a close eye on the area, even whenthe hairstarts to grow back.

Poor Vega :(

So I found the cream that Tracey suggested and bought it today. We haven't put it on her yet, I'll get Chris to help me tonight, she's getting smart now and runs away from me when shhe sees me coming towards her face.

DSC03428.jpg

Susan:)

Well my sweetie Vega's nose is getting better, the fur is growing back, but now Daffy akaWinston is licking between her ears so she furless there now.

I've put a very small amount of the Sudocremcream, but I'm a little afraid to use it as it says not to get it in the eyes. As soon as I put anything on it she cleans the spot off.

Does anyone know of something I can use that would taste yucky for Winston, but that won't hurt her.

I know everyone says split them up, well that's really not an option as I have limited space and I am not going to take the chance of breaking their bond. Honestly I couldn't handle 2 more single bunnies:(.

Thanks, I look forward to your replies.

Susan

Thanks Pam, so I looked on the package sure enough it has zinc. But then I looked on the polysporin and it has zinc too. What the heck can we use that doesn't have zinc, I surely don't want to poison my babies.

Now I'm curious, why do humans use this stuff on babies if it can cause poisoning?

Susan:?

Ingesting excessive amounts of zinc are far more likely to cause toxicity than the small amount absorbed through the skin (unless used excessively). Babies are not likely to ingest the diaper rash cream, but rabbits will lick it off.

Pam

Latest posts

Back