Furless Spot on Vega's Nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
Hi, when I awoke this morning and looked at Vega, this is what i saw. At first i thought Winston just licked her fur and made it go flat. Their doesn't seem to be any cuts in the area. Their is no loose fur in the cage so I have no idea where it went. I heard no fights during the night (as they are in our bedroom) they are very lovey dovey to each other this morning.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be.

DSC03235.jpg

DSC03233.jpg

DSC03234.jpg

Susan:?

Could be a lot of things:

mites maybe

ringworm maybe

I'm going to opt for overgrooming and molt starting.

We occasionally see this on our rabbits. I use a little Sevin dust (carbaryl) - same ingredient as many kitten flea powders. Generally works for a number of fur-loss issues.

Human foot fungal powder is good for suspected fungal infections.

Pam

Tumnus does this to Lucy around molting time from overgroowing. He will lick and nibble around her eyes and she has the same thing happen. Have you noticed Winston grooming her a lot?

It really looks like overgrooming to me, especially if theres no other signs of hair loss or irritation anywhere.

I agree with Haley. Floyd used to overgroom Boo and at one point she had a big bald bit right in the middle of her head took a while to grow back!

When I had my late bunny Jessica, we woke up one morning and she was bald behind her ears and on her nose (looked just like shown in the pics), at the time she was alone so we took her to the vet and he gave her an injection and some oral anti-biotics. We had to go back every tuesday for 3 weeks to get her an injection. I cant remember what it was but I know it wasn't mites. After 4 weeks it had totaly grown back, but like the others said it could be over-grooming. :)

Luv-bunniz wrote:
When I had my late bunny Jessica, we woke up one morning and she was bald behind her ears and on her nose (looked just like shown in the pics), at the time she was alone so we took her to the vet and he gave her an injection and some oral anti-biotics. We had to go back every tuesday for 3 weeks to get her an injection. I cant remember what it was but I know it wasn't mites. After 4 weeks it had totaly grown back, but like the others said it could be over-grooming. :)

Fur mites are often treated with Ivermectin injections. The antibiotics would have been used to treat secondary skin infection caused by the mites, which the vet may have referred to as "Cheyletiella".

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Fur mites are often treated with Ivermectin injections.  The antibiotics would have been used to treat secondary skin infection caused by the mites, which the vet may have referred to as "Cheyletiella".

Pam
[/quote]

Thanks! will have to keep that noted somewhere *looks around the room for a pen and peice of paper*

Lol, I've seen bunnies get bald spots when they're molting. Actually, it looks exactly like the molt pattern of one of MHRR's residents. He just sort of randomly loses hair spots and then they grow back. Then he goes through a massive molt....lol.

In the 9 years we've had bunnies I've never had any of them loose fur like this. Do you think we should go to the vets then? or just wait a few days?

Thanks

Susan:)

With it being symmetrical, I would bet it is molt.

Bo gets big spots like that sometimes - especially on his face.... and if I brush him it definitely will go bald - so if she's being groomed and she's molting - it's just likely her hair fell out - IMO

I'm not a vet so I don't know -

PERSONALLY, I'd wait about 4 or 5 days and see if hair comes in.

I think Vega's hairless spot is getting bigger.

DSC03276.jpg

DSC03275.jpg

You can compare the pictures. It's greasy because we put a little Polysporin on it, don't know if that was a good idea but we thought we'd try.

We took her to the vets, she really didn't have any idea what was causing it. She dida Skin Scraping and Mycology for Fungal Culture, these will take a couple of weeks for the results.

Ant ideas anyone.

Thanks

Susan:?

Gee Susan, that is quite a spot. It could be overgrooming... I've seen some strange things, but not that, not with anyone of my duos, or trios. I'd be interested to see what the tests show. Poor Vega.

Both Sadie and Snoopy have bald spots from over grooming on the back of their necks. Sadie's is really big. It usually always happens when they are moulting. It always grows back in =) I hope thats the problem and nothing bad.

I honestly think it's over grooming. I had a doe like this a few months back, and asked about it here in the forum. It's just too perfectly..symmetrical, if that makes any sense.

If you have ever seen the episode of Seinfeld where Uncle Leo burns off his eye brows and looks really angry because Elaine drew them back on all crazy, and the doctor comes in to see Leo and he says *I don't like your tone Uncle Leo*.. that's what the doe reminded me of, we went in the barn one morning, and there she sat, pretty as you please, big bald spot, just like your buns.. she was looking at me with this face, I swear.. *Wot? Wot did I do.. I just went to the salon and got my brows waxed!* The first thing that entered my mind was *I don't like your tone Uncle Leo*

I watched her and the doe next to her from the barn window, when they thought I was gone, and she actually sat there and let the other doe pull her bald headed.. smooth, like she waxed it.

Hope that eases your mind a bit..

Best of luck!

Hi I think it's getting better. She does have 3 little scratches at the bottom ot the hairless spot. I think I see some "Peach Fuzz" growing in. We're still putting the polysporyn on it.

Susan:)

PS

It's not easy trying to keep Winston from grooming her. However I can't just blame him she puts her hear right under his for kisses.

Latest posts

Back