Fur mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanillaMarshmellUwU

Reaction score
Sorry guys for posting a lot yesterday and today it's just... I have a new problem which is fur mites and I guess problem after problem. I asked my mom if she has a friend vet but she said no... I'm struggling right now and finding other ways to cure him but there is none. I tried asking for help earlier and someone reccomended me to join the group called rabbit lovers Philippines and so I did I also chat the creator, I did not yet get accepted, and I did not receive any response .

Attachments

• IMG_20200610_151744.jpg
    IMG_20200610_151744.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 7
Ok, so it does look like fur mites, and you said you can't get to the vet. Fur mites aren't fatal unless left untreated for a long time. If you had the option to go to the vet, I would do so, because they would be able to give you medicine to cure the fur mites. However, tea tree oil could work. I researched it for a while, and tea tree oil is common for getting rid of mites, ticks, and other small insects. Most bunny owners claim that it works on rabbits.

Link to the website, scroll down to skin mites - http://florida4h.org/projects/rabbits/MarketRabbits/Files/NaturalRemedies.pdf

Basically, get some tea tree oil and dilute it with water, then gently spread it on your rabbit's neck.

I've always heard that Listerine works, but I'm not sure if you should try that.

However, this is just a suggestion. Just like any other essential oil, I'm not sure that tea tree oil is safe, even if many use it to treat rabbits. I would wait for the input of others.

I'm sorry your bunny is going through all this, but hang in there. He will get better! Update us everyday! :D

Best wishes~
Remy

Last edited:
Ok, so it does look like fur mites, and you said you can't get to the vet. Fur mites aren't fatal unless left untreated for a long time. If you had the option to go to the vet, I would do so, because they would be able to give you medicine to cure the fur mites. However, tea tree oil could work. I researched it for a while, and tea tree oil is common for getting rid of mites, ticks, and other small insects. Most bunny owners claim that it works on rabbits.

Link to the website, scroll down to skin mites - http://florida4h.org/projects/rabbits/MarketRabbits/Files/NaturalRemedies.pdf

Basically, get some tea tree oil and dilute it with water, then gently spread it on your rabbit's neck.

I've always heard that Listerine works, but I'm not sure if you should try that.

However, this is just a suggestion. Just like any other essential oil, I'm not sure that tea tree oil is safe, even if many use it to treat rabbits. I would wait for the input of others.

I'm sorry your bunny is going through all this, but hang in there. She will get better! Update us everyday! :D

Best wishes~
Remy
Thank you so much I'm having a bad week today. I will try finding tea tree oil, hoping that we have that in my province since I live in a poor one. I should try it as quickly as possible... I love my rabbit and I would do anything for him.

Yeah! I'm going to ask if tea tree oil is safe for bunnies 100% and then I'll get back to you. Always a pleasure!

Best wishes~
Remy
I just chatted the vet clinic which Is the only vet clinic in my province and it's one hour away from my home. I just discovered lime sulphur dips and it's really effective but I don't know if they have those. Tea tree oil is not effective... It's just a remedy. I'm still waiting for response since they usually reply a few hours later. It's night time right now so I will check if there is any reply tomorrow. Hope my bunny will get better soon and no more problem will come a head.

Ok, yeah. Lime sulphur dips work. I just did some research. Whatever works for you. Just try to keep your bunny from scratching too much, since it will worsen it.

Hang in there! The bunny community is here for you! I hope he gets better and I'd love to see some progress updates.

You could get tea tree oil just to relieve the itching as well. It is said to kill bugs, but that's what I know.

If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know!

Best wishes~
Remy

Last edited:
If it is fur mites it will need to be treated with ivermectin. I would apply 0.4 mg of ivermectin on the skin 3 times every 10 days until it is healed.
Medirabbit says:
"Fur mites are eliminated by ivermectin: 0.2-0.4 mg/kg, PO (oral) or SC (subcutaneous injection), 3 times at intervals of 10-14 days. Ivermectin can also be used topically (directly on the skin)."

If it is fur mites it will need to be treated with ivermectin. I would apply 0.4 mg of ivermectin on the skin 3 times every 10 days until it is healed.
Medirabbit says:
"Fur mites are eliminated by ivermectin: 0.2-0.4 mg/kg, PO (oral) or SC (subcutaneous injection), 3 times at intervals of 10-14 days. Ivermectin can also be used topically (directly on the skin)."
Thank you guys so so much for the support but he's not that itchy. I will Try searching for it

It could be an infection or bladder sludge, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's from the mites or other problem?

It could be an infection or bladder sludge, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's from the mites or other problem?
Maybe your right, because of the fur mites I guess. I saw it on the floor but there is no poop nor pee, it's white and looked slimey and kinda wet, I also checked his nose... And it's clean. I did not check his bottom tough. I can't take a pic of it because I already cleaned it

Maybe your right, because of the fur mites I guess. I saw it on the floor but there is no poop nor pee, it's white and looked slimey and kinda wet, I also checked his nose... And it's clean. I did not check his bottom tough. I can't take a pic of it because I already cleaned it

Yeah, it could be from the mites, though I don't know how. I hope your bunny gets better!

Best wishes~
Remy

Yeah, it could be from the mites, though I don't know how. I hope your bunny gets better!

Best wishes~
Remy
Thank you very much, I checked his litter box and no slimey poop or any slime thingy. For now... I'm restricting pellets so he could eat hay. The clinic is so slow in replying it been a whole night but no responses... I also checked their Facebook page, commented to one of their post about my situation, and I'm still waiting.

You're welcome! I'd love to see some updates on your bunny when he gets better! It's night here, so I'm going to head off, but take care. I hope the clinic responds soon.

Best wishes~
Remy

Can you send a picture of what it looked like? Does it look like any of the poop in the picture on this link?
Sorry for the late reply, it was night time and I was asleep. I don't have any pic because I already cleaned it all, that was a white mucus I think (well it looked like it) and there is no white mucus on his poop and pee. Also his nose is clean

Back