Fur mites spreading! :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shantimercado

Reaction score
My bunnies are 4 months old and they both have fur mites. I just noticed it when i saw bald spots on them. I went to the vet 5 days ago and he told me he couldn't inject them so he told me to give them 0.01ml of Ivermectin orally for 21 days. He also told me to apply the same medicine to their lesions once a week for 3 sessions. I applied the meds on the 3rd day. Currently, however, it seems that they still keep losing their hair (with the dandruff on the ends). They are also still scratching. Is that normal? And how long will it take for dandruff and itching to go away?

Did your vet say to give it everyday for the 21 days? Usually dosage is once every 10-14 days, for 3 doses. The dosage may also be low(which can make it ineffective against the mites), depending on their weight and if you are using a 1%(10mg/ml) liquid solution. Also if you are giving the correct oral dose, I'm not sure why applying topically would be needed. Is your vet an experienced rabbit vet?

It can take several days to a week or two, before you start to see noticeable improvement, and may take longer in severe cases.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

I'm wondering how rabbit savy the vet is, too. The dosage for the ivermectin 1% liquid solution is .018cc per lb of body weight, given orally. One dose, then another dose in 10-14 days. For some cases, you may need a third dose. You need to thoroughly clean everything so they don't get reinfected.

Hi! I haven't been on for a while, just found dandruff on our boarder bunny we are caring for till September. Olive is very sensitive on her back and itchy, the smooth fur is lifting due to her flakes so will be booking her in ASAP to get her checked. My concern is for our second bunny, lionhead called Binyum. She is showing no signs of trouble with her fur but what precautions should we take to ensure no problems for her? How do mites spread?
Thanks for any advice, really enjoy this site, very helpful. Btw both bunnies have their own cages and play in a room separately but share litterbox in the room and toys.

Discuss it with your vet, but treating both rabbits at the same time is probably a good idea since they share a common space. Even though your bun isn't showing signs of them affecting her, she could still be carrying them or get exposed to them while the other rabbit is being treated. The best treatment for mites is the topical treatment Revolution(selamectin). It seems to be the safest and most effective. Ivermectin is also effective, but some rabbits can have a severe sensitivity to it, especially particular breeds like those with the Vienna gene.

Also clean their environment as best you can.

Just a follow-up on how my bunnies are doing, Olive was confirmed to having mites with a skin scraping. Binyum our lionhead had no symptoms but was given an injection of Ivomec as a precautionary. Both bunnies go back for a second shot in 10 days, Olive needing a possible 3rd dose as it is looking widespread. I feel so bad for her, didn't realize what it was sooner. I cleaned her cage and everything she had contract with, as well as the bunny playroom. Got rid of shavings and Timothy hay and bought new. Whew! Now just watching to see improvement, not much change yet, she got the dose on May 2nd, goes back May 9th. Just wish to see her better soon. Worried about her.😔

Back