Fur Mites in Newborns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxysmummy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm worried my newborns have fur mites. They are 5 days old and all seem to have dandruff like flakes on them.

I'm thinking its fur mites and am quite worried. I've looked in the library and read a few threads, but nothing seems to cover newborns and mites.

I've treated the mama with the flea medication for cats and kittens on the back of her neck before she gave birth. could that kill mites if SHE has them?

how do i treat the babies? is it normal for babies to have dandruffy stuff or is that a definite sign of mites?

which flea medicine did u use on momma?..pleeeease tell me u used the right one...
i thought alot of newborns shed some skin,personally i wouldnt put any kind of chemical on a newborn unless it was advised by a vet...they are so fragile to begin with and the stuff thats used to kill mites is pretty hardcore..i hope non of what u used on momma gets on the babies...

Flash Gordon wrote:
which flea medicine did u use on momma?..pleeeease tell me u used the right one...
i thought alot of newborns shed some skin,personally i wouldnt put any kind of chemical on a newborn unless it was advised by a vet...they are so fragile to begin with and the stuff thats used to kill mites is pretty hardcore..i hope non of what u used on momma gets on the babies...
we just used the stuff you put on the back of the neck for cats... its what our vet told us was ok?

I would hold off, and make sure you did not use Frontline. Revolution and Advantage are safe for use on rabbits, but Frontline will kill rabbits.

we didnt use frontline, we used a brand called exel pet http://www.exelpet.com.au/FleaControl.aspx

sheesh i feel a bit sick now, our vet told us just to use standard flea treatments for cats and kittens, said nothing about frontline being bad. so glad we dodged a bullet - we could just have easily picked up a packet of frontline as we did exel pet.

Excel Pet seems to be safe for rabbits. Frontline is one of those weird things that is really bad for rabbits, but ok for cats and dogs.

Latest posts

Back