fur mite treatment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLuvMyLilBuns

Reaction score
My holland lop bun has fur mites and I don't know where online to order revolution or which one to order.. the vet says there is one made for rabbits?.. If anyone could send me a link to the revolution that would work for him that would be great. Also what's the exact dosage for him, he's 3 lbs 5 oz.. is it one tube? how often? Is it going to work? I'm thinking about just having him get ivermectin injections because this is a little complicated.

I have to say, that your vet telling you this makes me wonder exactly how good your vet is. Revolution is available only by prescription from a vet. There is no packaging for rabbits. It is either the dog or cat packaging that are each a different strength of med. A decent vet should have calculated a dosage for you and either sold you the appropriate dose, or written you a prescription for you to buy it somewhere else.

Ivermectin will work just fine too. You can also give it orally, and it is usually just as effective. I would normally say you can pick up the correct dosage from your vet, but not so sure about this vet of yours.

For spot on treatment with revolution, dosage is 18mg/kg. One treatment may only be needed, but if necessary a second treatment may be needed at 2-4 weeks after the first application. There are different strengths. I believe the dog one is 120mg/ml and the cat one is 60mg/ml, but always double check your packaging.

For liquid injectable ivermectin given orally, dosage is 0.4mg/kg, every 10-14 days, for at least 3 treatments. Side note: rabbits with the Vienna gene may have a sensitivity to ivermectin and it could be toxic to them.

I'm posting the link for ear mites, as it has the dosage info for both meds, but it also applies to fur mites. I've posted the dosage info, but you should always double check dosages yourself.
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm (GRAPHIC PHOTOS)
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

I use advantage II ( for cats and kittens ) you will have to know the weight of your rabbit. I buy it at the vets in single tubes. It is not prescription only but it is expensive. Have been using it for years. Good luck

Latest posts

Back