Fur loss/crusts on ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadege

Lady's human
Reaction score
I noticed that my new bunny, Lady, started loosing her fur at the base of one of her ears about 3 days ago. I also saw she had some tiny blood dots and crusts around it. I got her from my local pet store about one week and a half ago, and I also noticed she has a spot that looks similar on her back near her shoulders. I didn't really worry about it at first, because I was thinking she probably got bitten by another animal (she was with another bunny and a couple guinea pigs in her cage at the pet store) Nothing like this ever happened to the previous bunnies I had, I looked up rabbits' skin problems but didn't really see anything that looked like it either. I also inspected her fur closely and she doesn't seem to have mites or fleas. Does anyone know what this could be, and what I should do? Thanks in advance :) Here is a picture of it:

IMG_3475.jpg

Looks to me like fur mites since it's also on her back. Mites are pretty small and would be difficult to visually inspect. Usually you only see the skin problems that they cause. I would talk to the pet store. If she had the problem when you bought her, they should be paying for you to take her to a vet to get treated. Revolution/Stronghold(selamectin) is the best thing to treat it, but ivermectin is also sometimes used.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

Fur mites can be pretty hard to see, I believe... fur loss and crusty skin around the ears are the primary signs of fur mites. Since many pet stores and shelters have a 14 day health guarantee and you've only had her a week and a half, it's worth discussing this with the pet store to see if they'll agree to pay for her treatment (you have to ask BEFORE you take her to a vet). The preferred method for treating fur mites is selamectin (Revolution in the US, not sure what it's called in France) - it's a topical flea/tick treatment for dogs and cats only available through vets. Usual dosing for light to moderate cases is along the lines of 18 mg/kg; 2 doses, two weeks to a month apart (this is higher and often more frequent than the cat or dog dosage because rabbits have a faster metabolism). Ivermectin is also effective, though not safe for some types of rabbits (Blue-eyed whites and those with vienna markings, iirc, but I could be wrong). Do NOT use fipronil (Frontline in the US) or ANY over-the-counter cat/dog medications even if they say they treat mites - these are toxic and potentially FATAL for bunnies!

Ivermectin can be bought in feed stores in the US without a prescription (not sure about France)... but I really recommend a vet trip since selamectin is better and the vet can confirm for sure that the issue is ear mites.

Thank you so much for your quick answers.

I will go to the pet store tomorrow to see if I can work something out with them, and in any case I will also make an appointment at the vet (I am going to say away from any over-the-counter medication because I don't feel too safe using them, with all I've heard about Frontline and such). I'll let you know how everything goes :) Thanks again!

I'm also thinking mites which, lucky for you, can be easily treated. If she hasn't seen a vet yet it's a good idea to get established with one anyway. It's always good to take your pets in while they're apparently healthy so that a baseline normal can be established for them.

I have an appointment at the vet today, I am happy I was able to get one so soon because she was scratching herself pretty hard earlier and her ear started bleeding! Hopefully this gets sorted out soon.

Latest posts

Back