FUNGUS!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK Rabbitry

Reaction score
I'm going to make this short and sweet.

I have an old horse with cushing's disease (i'm told the human equivalent is crohn's disease). Compromised immune system, pain in the arse, and love of my life. A while back he started scratching al ot and I thought it was his thick wooly coat shedding out but then I found little white bugs in his coat. The vet told me they were horse lice. So I bought some stuff and sprayed him down and in a week or so they went away, but he was still itching. i thought his skin was just left am ess from teh bugs. So I put MTG on it and it didn't stop. I called the vet out and they did a skin scraping. Oh look my horse has ringworm. I've been treating this with anti-fungal sprays and miconizole cream. I haven't seen him itch lately but he still has scabby patched on his neck. He's rubbed off almost his whole mane. And now the baby horse I had t urned him out with started rubbing off his mane and itching all the time too, and has a weird pattern of missing fur on one shoulder, so I started him on the same treatment. I only saw him scratch a few times but since msot of his hair is missing and broken I figure he's been scratching a lot more. So I dont know if he's really stopped.

I thought I may have had it under control and now I have a couple rabbits with bald flaky patches on their necks and shoudler blades and one has it on his ears. I'm rounding up everyone for quarentine later but I need to disinfect cages and enviornment first. Vanodine is sae to put in drinking water, and it kills fungus and bacteria and those little creepy crawly things. i want to use it to spray down all my cages and equipment. Otherwise we won't have a proper quarentine going on here.
I'm treating the bunnies with MTG And the same spray i'm using on the horses. I also have athletes foot cream handy.

I can't find vanodine for sale ANYWHERE in the US it seems. I went on the websites of all teh bunny dealers I know off the top of my head nad the only one that has it is bunnyrabbit.com but they sell it already diluted inan 8 oz bottle for $9. RIPOFF! And it's not goign to last me at all. And how do I trust its the correct dilution rate anyways? I just want to buy a bottle for myself.

I found it on a website in the UK but onceI translated the currency I was going to be paying $133+ for everything.

I also found a couple fleas on 2 of my lops. #^#$&^#&^&#%&^!!!!! i can't beleive that. In all my 15 years of raising rabbits the only instances of fleas i've had was when bunnies would escape into the wild and live there for 3-4 months at a time and come home infested. I'm uncomfortable bathing the French Lops because they are SO SO difficult to dry!! And I did recently have another case of fly strike.

Keeping any rabbits in my home is out of the question...since I'm having trouble controlling the fleas in my house right now. I've had preventative on my dogs...2 different kinds, I've tried sprays, powders, bombs, EVERYTHING. It seems to get better but wont fully go away. And I vacuum constantly. And throw away the bags. ARGH What a MESS.

I also accidentally ran over one of my cats the other day. I at least hope the other ones learn not to sleep under the car.

And I'm euthanizing a rabbit later today due to a serious injury.

I have 6 rabbits that are on reserve and set for delivery by begining of October. I want to be 100% sure that when they leave they aren't bringing anything creepy crawliy with them! And the new owner lives in michigan (i'm in pittsburgh( so I can't exactly go take them back in the event of an accident. One of the lops she has booked I found a few fleas on.

I read that ringworm/fungus has a 2 week incubation period. So I have 3 weeks until beginign of October....if during that time in quarentine they show no signs of fungus does that mean they are alright?

Please help....and any advice on killing this stuff would be greratly appreciated! How on Earth did this even happen!? Just what I needed!!!

Nobody knows where I can get vanodine? Seriously? Does anybody's vet carry it that I could order from?. I called some vets around here and they dont even know what it is.

No help on the fungus either? I'm about to lose my mind.

Vanodine is no longer sold in the U.S., other than people like Barbi, who have some on hand. Something about the active ingredients in it aren't approved for use in the U.S. right now or something. I don't remember.

A couple of my rabbits had a fungal skin infection, and my vet just had me use plain iodine on them. It took about a week of applying it to their skin, but it cleared up nicely and hasn't been back.

You should be able to use plain iodine to wash and disinfect your cages. I know it's safe for bunny ingestion and kills all bacteria and fungus's. Iodine should be available at any pharmacy.

--Dawn

I have Viodine and Betadine which I know are similar....and i'm sure have iodine in them. Will these work? Do they need bathed in it or just applying it? I know betadine at least in horses can't be left on the skin like that, i'm sure fora much smaller more sensitive animal it wouldn't be cool...

-JAK

My vet said that betadine would not work, it had to be regular iodine. However, betadine can be left on bunny skin. It's what was used to clean all of the bunnies operation sites before surgery, and they are always stained for a few days after. It was recommended that I use it on Zeke's genitals during his recovery from a genital reconstruction.

The iodine stained their fur, but it did no permanent damage. I think it might have stung a bit on the scabby bits, but they didn't really protest too much. I think you can even get white iodine that won't stain their fur.

I had to clip their fur back around the infection, making sure I exposed the entire area. Then just put iodine on that area using a coton ball twice a day until the scalliness went away.

--Dawn

yeah but Bunnyrabbit.com only has 4 oz bottles. I need enough to sanitize my entire rabbitry more than once and have some left over to keep on hand.

I've been trying the iodine and I dont think it's helping, infact I think it's starting to irritate my rabbits' skin and the fur looks like it's falling out and the skin is red and irritated.

Can't I get a break?

Dont' answer that...

I used the white iodine on my rabbits feet when my Mini Rex picked up a fungus (at a show). It had to be applied to the feet twice a day for 7 days. (And it smelled REAL bad!) But it did work. Got rid of the fungus. didn't stain the fur and all the fur came back. I cleaned the cages with a 10% bleach solution, rinsed and let them dry in the sun. I cleaned twice, on the second day of treatment and on the 6th day of treatment. The fungus didn't come back.

But yeah, the Vanodine is wonderful stuff... I'd have used that if I had it at the time. (You know, it's available on the UK Ebay, but I don't know if they ship overseas, or if they are allowed to ship here.)

Back