Frustrating question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
Why do non-rabbit people feel the need to ask how long do they live? ~This question always irritates me, and puzzles me. I accept the fact that most people don't understand having rabbits as pets and the questions are pure curiosity, but I wish people would take a moment and think how insensitive it is to ask how long they live.

I just answer the question by saying, hopefully as long as possible. I guess people think of dogs and cats that live to ages of 16, 17 even 20. They are curious about rabbits I guess. I know I answered that question today, but it was coming from someone who was really interested in what we were doing with our Rabbitry. Never had rabbits. But was curious on the care, longevity, their intelligence, what the upkeep was.

I guess it's in the way the question is asked. But I've had people look at me though, like I had two heads when I said I had indoor rabbits. They wanted to know if they stank and how long you had to put up with it. Now there's an insensitive way. I just looked at this person like they had two heads and no common sense. I told her to google it.

K:)

Since there are no quarantee in life you simply as them how long are they or their pets going to live. I actually don't think that they mean it as an insensitive question, I think most people are just rabbit ignorant and are curious. Possibly after hearing they may consider them as a pet choice for themselves.

I don't mind the age question, but the rabbit stew comment really ticks me off. I generally tell people that "no, my rabbits don't make good stew, they won't cook anything at all!"

It's either that or kick them in the shins. Normally my kind side wins. ;)

I don't really find a problem with people asking how long a rabbit lives. With all the animals out there that are kept as pets, age ranges vary a ton. You can have hamsters that might only live 3-4 years compared to some birds that can live 40 years or longer. Even dogs can vary from in age from 7-8 to 15-16. For people who don't know much about rabbits, they do ask so they can learn more.
What gets me is when someone says they had a rabbit that lived to be the old age of 2 or 3 years.
Most people don't know much about rabbits, so anything you can do to further educate them is good.

I have this frustration with goldfish. I'm as into my goldfish friends as I am my rabbits, and when someone says "Boy, my goldfish was OLD! 3 years!" I want to falcon punch them in the sternum. (For those who don't know, goldfish can live upwards of 18 years).

Non-animal people are a different species all together. I'm sure of it.

I'm with Kate. I don't think people are asking to be mean, but the common misconception is that a rabbit only lives 3-5 years. I get people asking how long a horse lives (which can be between 20-40). lol

I am actually really HAPPY when people ask me this question, because it gives me an opportunity to likely correct a misguided idea that rabbits only live 2-3 years and are therefore a "short term" pet.

The worst thing I ever heard though was when a young lady about 12 years old contacted me to buy a rabbit and she asked how long they live. I said "Well, it's really impossible to predict the lifespan of any animal because there are so many factors at play but for a healthy house rabbit I usually say anywhere between 5 and 10 years."

AND THEN SHE GOES.....

"Well they're pretty delicate though right? So it'll probably die before then, like in a couple of years."

*slapslap*

It almost sounds as if she was hoping it would die early? That is strange. If she wants a short lived pet she should get one of the electronic ones, easy to turn off and kill when ever she wants.

For what it's worth, hindsight as we age allows us to make better choices with pet commitments. That's why it's so important for parents to push the knowledge base and push correct care.

When I had my first rabbit I sort of reversed it on my parents. They were separated at the time and I lived with my mother. She didn't know the first thing about rabbits other than sometimes they have loppy ears.

Bailey sort of became a rabbit mascot in the house; what they eat, what they need, litter boxes, personality...everything we know and love about our wee buds, plus all the ones that make us cry.

I'd have to say that as much as I sort of twinge when someone asks, especially as my bunny gets older (as do I - how long do people live?), I think the question is usually a sincere request for information.

Most people tend to think of rabbits as large hamsters - the vast majority of the public, including no small number of writers, still refer to them as "rodents" - and are genuinely surprised that a rabbit's life span is comparable to a dog or cat.

Back