FruFru and Boots blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad hasn't been cold here, It's worry about Boots since this is his first winter outside. I tried bringing him inside but is constant crying was stressful on him and me as well. He has a heated basement that he goes into on cold nights, that he has full access to, but I still worry. I guess on really cold nights I'll bring him in and put up with the crying. I don't have another option right now!

Fru has been really friendly lately, he always runs to see me and puts up with the dreadful petting for a couple minutes, he has never enjoyed it, I think partly because as a young rabbit he wasn't properly socialized, he has really came a long way and I still see progress. Anyways, yesterday I was gone all day and only had time to check on him once in the morning then late in the evening when I got home(don't worry this doesn't happen often,he wouldn't allow that)When I went back in the evening I noticed that his water bottle had fallen from the cage! This is the second time this has happened so today I am going to buy a new one. I also think I will write the company, the bottle wasn't cheap and they need to make sure these bottles work properly, I hate to think of all the rabbits out there who have gone several hours without water because of this!
So, previously,I mentioned taking him to school to meet a little kid I work with, but I have rethought that. He doesn't like car trips and being in a new place would scare him so I don't think I will put him though that.

CAGE SHOPPING

Fru really needs a new cage his is falling apart, I would also love to find something with more room, as it is now he doesn't even have room for a litter pan without crowding him out! I would love to build a enclosure for him myself since all the cages I've seen doesn't have much more room then the one he's in now. I just don't know the way of going about it! I guess I will look it up tonight and attempt it this weekend but what makes it complicated is I need something off the floor since our basement does get a bit of water in it occasionally

Sorry about your water and heating troubles.

If you look in the housing and environment section I think there are plans for using NIC panels to build your own cage. There are also other cage ideas.

Wow, when it rains it pours huh? I know how you feel, one November we had a really bad nor'easter which produced a really big tide that sent saltwater into our transformer and we were out of power for a week! Hope the rest of your year is drama free!

Btw, Trillian thinks Fru is a cutie (shhhh don't tell Humma) :biggrin2:

Hi Everyone,

Fru and I took a break through Christmas because were super busy!

We did have a wonderful holiday but today was back to business I started with clean the entire cage top to bottom, we still have yet to find a new one that meets our standards which stinks because I have a lot more added work because he doesn't have a litter pan in the cage because it takes up too much room. After cleaning the cage while he ran around he got angry and gave me the bunny butt when he noticed I cleaned and moved his stuff, he was also quite peeved when he noticed that instead of his favorite dish of Cilantro he got some Watercress, but I am used to it because I get the attitude anytime I clean out his personal space.( I wonder what's wrong with him I would love if he would clean my room)
He's been doing the cutest thing lately! When I go to open his cage door he climbs up the door to meet me, he's never done this before he changes personality over time just like a human.
Today, while I was doing what I call the "pet duties" I decided to run to the pet store to pick up some pellets and bedding and got into an argument with an associate who tried to force pellets on me with all the candy pieces in it, When I told her we don't really do that because those varieties have foods that a rabbit doesn't need. She told me I was wrong because rabbits need the extra food in these mixes. I refused it anyways and she got angry with me. Oh Well, I am not feeding Fru junk because the lady at the pet store thinks I should.
Where to start with Bootsy Collins? He is still spending most of his time outdoors but visits the house frequently for treats and petting. He got in a pretty ruff tuft with a feral cat in the neighborhood, who bullies all of the cats in our neighborhood, he wasn't hurt didn't have a mark on him but I am surprised because the fight looked deadly. Poor guy could fight back the cat grabbed him out of nowhere.

BrittanyandFruFru wrote:
Today, while I was doing what I call the "pet duties" I decided to run to the pet store to pick up some pellets and bedding and got into an argument with an associate who tried to force pellets on me with all the candy pieces in it, When I told her we don't really do that because those varieties have foods that a rabbit doesn't need. She told me I was wrong because rabbits need the extra food in these mixes. I refused it anyways and she got angry with me. Oh Well, I am not feeding Fru junk because the lady at the pet store thinks I should.
You just march right up there and reply "How long have you had rabbits? Have you had many pets? Are you on a rabbit forum to make sure the clients only but the best for their rabbits? No? I thought not." Then walk away and go pick up "proper" bunny food!

Btw glad to see you again! Thought you'd mysteriously gone missing and I'd have to come over there to "check" on FruFru...:p

Happy Boxing Day!

Jj

It's crazy some of the people who work at these places. I think when you get a bit older this would be a job for you Jj.

You actually just taught me something, I didn't know what "boxing day" was until I looked it up( that's not a term used in the U.S) But I am going to start using it haha

BrittanyandFruFru wrote:
It's crazy some of the people who work at these places. I think when you get a bit older this would be a job for you Jj.
Definetly! I already informed our local pet shop owner that suprisngly rabbits do need toys! He just had food!
You actually just taught me something, I didn't know what "boxing day" was until I looked it up( that's not a term used in the U.S) But I am going to start using it haha

Well Boxing Day does tend to be more Canadian and UK (ian? ish?ans?) Over here we never really say give gifts to our "slaves/servants" mainly because we don't really have them anymore (thankfully) more just celebration of family and togetherness!

Glad I taught you something new!

Jj

Wabbit Dad,

I've found they know very little about all things related to pets, they once tried too sell me some rabbit bath, the guy was quite angry when I informed I would never put my rabbit through an unnecessary bath.

Jj- I read that stores and shops have like big markdowns kind of like our "Black Friday" after Thanksgiving in the U.S.

Well it originated from rather rich households giving a day off on Dec 26th and a small present for working Christmas and general appreciation. Today it has evovled into a huge sale extravaganza. It is very similar to Black Friday for it gets stores out of the "red" into the "black".
How's dear FruFru? How long have you had him again?
Lots of hugs and kisses from Pemby.
Jj

Fru Fru is doing well, rotten as always. It will be two years this February since I brought him home. I was looking into getting a rabbit since I had them as a little kid, it wasn't something I took lightly I researched and the more I read the more I knew one would be a good fit for me. I just wasn't sure where I wanted to get one, I really wanted to adopt an older rabbit but I went into a pet store(famous last words) and he was in a cage with rabbits and guinea pigs but he was larger and by himself, so I asked the clerk about him, he was older than the rabbits because the ones they usually buy are just a few weeks old but he was given to the store because if he wasn't taken the breeder was going to put him down!The breeder had lost his parents, and siblings, and all of the other rabbits she had(about 100)to an ice storm, that winter and the stores that usually bought from her wasn't interested in one rabbit. I was sickened that she would put him down after he survived something like that! So, I took him home that day not even knowing what gender he was until I took him to the vet the next day, he got a clean bill of health and I got a new friend.
I really wanted to adopt a bunny who needed a new home, I never thought I would buy one from a store but after looking for adoptable rabbits in my area he just kinda found me, because he wasn't socialized with people as soon as he needed to be it took him a long time for him to trust, he is still making progress after two years, though I've excepted that he will never be the bun who runs to get pet,but I think finding him was meant to be I wouldn't trade him for any other bunny in this world.
Boots the cat came to me as well, he was found by a family friend at the school where she worked, he was hiding under a car from a group of middle school aged kids who were burning his whiskers from a cigarette lighter! At that time I was looking for a new addition but where Fru Fru is shy Boots has never had a fear of people even after what they've done to him.

New Year will be here before we know it and it will be time to begin a new blog for the year! I have decided that in the upcoming year the blog will only be for Fru and not Boots, I don't mention him that often anyways. Since this is a rabbit forum I want to concentrate of Fru only and see if I like my blog any better.

I will be trying to find a cat forum for Boots, I've just not found any I like as much as R.O.
I also received an iPhone 4 today and will be uploading pictures soon hopefully, I find the camera is much better than the camera I had.

QUESTION: I know in previous years at the start of each new year a new blog is started with a link to our old one. Is that how it is going to work this year or do I just need to continue with this blog?
Anyways... I'm super excited because I've finally found some cage bedding that I like, previously I used Care Fresh just because it really controls odor and it's a trusted brand, that being said a bag to fill up the cage(just once) was about $8 a couple days ago I found some bedding called Crinkles(I think) it is still made by Care Fresh, controls odor but last me two cage changes for the same price. It isn't nearly as fluffy which I worried about, but Fru doesn't seem to mind.
On the other hand, Fru is extremely picky and it's driving me CRAZY! If he isn't fed Cilantro he pouts, he will eat what veggie I give him but he is clearly not happy about it(unless it's dandelions. Since cilantro is an herb I worry that he isn't getting all the nutrients he need, he will not eat hay at all no matter what kind it is he won't touch it. :X

Wanted to drop by, hope everyone is doing well and staying warm. Here in Kentucky we aren't having any luck with staying warm winter hit all of a sudden and we finally had some snow. The cats are loving it, running around and playing in it. Not much news otherwise.

Latest posts

Back