from Tasmania, Australia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruby is a boy

Reaction score
Hi from down-under! We have one female Lilly and a male Ruby (hmmm, yes well he was meant to be a female also). Lilly and Ruby are only just of maturity age. 4 weeks ago Lilly kitted a litter of 6. All have survived and doing wonderfully and nearly ready to head out into the big world to there new forever homes (all of which have new homes already waiting). In discovering babies and that yes indeed, Ruby had testicles, we had him nutered. But this didn't happen till the monday and the kits were born on the friday. Due to my inexperiance Lilly was already pregnant with a second litter while having just given birth to the first.

Lilly managed well, or so it seemed, until she kitted yesterday to just one kit who died over night (see my other post in general discussions on todays sad events).

Lilly and Ruby are both uppity-eared rabbits, however one from their first litter has had his ears flop in just the last 3 days, so they must have some lop somewhere back in the family lines.

Lilly is mostly white with ginger spots/markings, while Ruby is ginger all over with just the tiniest bit of black trimming the tips of his ears. 4 of there babies are ginger like dad, one pure white but with brown eyes, and one little one like mum, white with ginger markings.

Anyway thats us... i'll post pics of the gang soon as it seems i have to upload the images first, so i'll have to go work that out now.

thanks
Naomi

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got a lot of education in a very short time. Pics would really be great, who doesn't like pictures of bunnies anyhow? Did you guys get the Lunar Eclipse yesterday--it was just awesome here.

hi, i had rabbits when i was younger. As a 11-14yr old we did a little breeding. We had dutch nethie's but they were in separate hutches and the male/female only came together for breeding. Trusting we had 2 girls and not going back to double check it was a bit a surprise but not unwelcome. I have a 3yr old son and so its been lovely to let him see a litter grow and develop. However i never did realise that rabbits could get preggers right away again. when we breed i guess my parents knew this but b/c the rabbits were housed separately and put together only for 2 days to breed this was never an issue.

anyway our babies all have lovely families waiting so its all good. Sadly there were no babies from the second pregnancy, but then it is probably a good thing for Lilly health to not have another bunch of babies to feed. I wonder if rabbits feel sad when they lose their newly born kit - i imagine it died as it had no sibbling to keep it warm. I now wish i had dug up the burrow yesterday after she birthed as i would have seen there was only one and have made sure he was warm, instead of dying from exposure over night.

Latest posts

Back